Peerless ScStr - History

Peerless ScStr - History



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Peerless

(ScStr: t. 10,000 (dw.); 1. 426'; b. 56'; dr. 27'; s. 10.5 k.; cpl.
83; a. 1 4", 1 3")

Peerless (No. 1639), built as Eagle in 1917 by Union Iron Works San Francisco, Calif., was acquired by the Navy from the Standard Transportation Co. at Newport News, Va. 8 December 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. J.S. LeCain, USNRF, in command.

Peerless loaded a general cargo, departed Norfolk 9 December, arrived at La Pallice on the 24th, and returned to New York with a general cargo, arriving 12 February, 1919.

On 19 February, 1919 Peerless was detached from the NOTS and reassigned to the Cruiser and Transport Force. She served on the transatlantic run through the summer, decommissioned 22 September 1919, and was returned to her owner the same day.


PEERLESS MOTOR CAR CO.

The PEERLESS MOTOR CAR CO., noted for its luxury automobiles, was established in Cleveland in 1889 as the Peerless Wringer & Mfg. Co., located on the city's east side at the junction of the Cleveland & Pittsburgh and the New York, Chicago & St. Louis railroads. By 1892 it had become the Peerless Mfg. Co. Originally a producer of washing-machine wringers, Peerless moved to 2654 Lisbon St. in 1895 and began making bicycles in the late 1890s. The company was manufacturing automobiles and parts in 1901 and was renamed the Peerless Motor Car Co. 2 years later. The company's factory, built in 1906 at 9400 Quincy Ave., was designed by Architect J. MILTON DYER.

Peerless employed Louis P. Mooers in 1902. He designed the first completely original Peerless and began entering his designs in automobile races with some success until he left in 1906. The company was known for its luxurious touring car models, priced at $3,200, $4,000, and $6,000 in 1905. In 1915 Peerless merged with the General Vehicle Co. of New York and the Cleveland concern became a subsidiary of the resulting Peerless Truck & Motor Co. When it became clear in the 1920s that the market for the large touring cars was limited, the company lowered its prices and tried to promote medium-sized cars. Although President Jas. A. Bohannon tried to save the firm, Peerless was unable to survive the Depression and the last Cleveland-based company to build automobiles in the city closed in 1931. After a careful study of the Depression-era market, Bohannon organized the CARLING BREWING CO. in 1933 and operated it in the old Peerless factory.


Duan Xin Ye/History

Princess of Xue Yue, she's initially a lonely and unassuming girl in her life. Tired and disgusted with courtly attitudes, it's not until she's introduced to Lin Feng, by her brother Duan Wu Ya in Lovesick Forest during a banquet, that she showed an interest in anyone. After witnessing his domineering and indifferent attitude, a great interest arose from her that was later deepened when Lin Feng became her bodyguard.

Lin Feng was invited to banquet by Duan Wu Ya and he brought Duan Xin Ye with him and she sat on his lap. His cousin Yue Tian Ming and grandfather Yue Qing Shan came there to propose marriage between Yue Tian Ming and her. Unbeknownst to them the Emperor had already denied the request and wanted her to marry Lin Feng instead. Lin Told his grandfather and cousin the Duan Xin Ye was his and he didn't care about their marriage agreement. Duan Wu Ya said it was up to her to marry who she wanted. Someone then poisoned Duan Xin Ye with and Aphrodisiac and if she didn't have intercourse she would die. When Lin Feng attempted to leave with her to cure her , both his grandfather and cousin tried to stop him telling him to put her down and she would leave with his cousin.Lin Feng told then to get lost and started to release the Nine Evil Swords as he was going to kill anyone who got in his way. His grandfather realized all nine swords were in Lin Feng and if they kept blocking him he would kill all of them. Yue Qing Shan realized he had failed with his daughter and now he was going to fail with Lin Feng so he decided that this time it would be different. He told Yue Tian Ming to let them go and pulled him out of the way. Ώ] .

Lin Feng left with her and took her to her palace and they had intercourse. She asked him if he would marry her and Lin agreed. The next day Duan Wu Ya and Yue Tian Ming confronted Lin Feng . When Yue Tian Ming said something to Lin Feng, Lin Feng told him “Shut the hell up.” Shouted Lin Feng. He then added: “You have nothing to say here! Nobody gives a shit about your crappy marriage agreement! I’ve already told you, Xin Ye is mine. Even if the incident of yesterday evening had never happened, she would have still remained mine and only mine!” ΐ] Lin Feng then agreed to marry Duan Xin Ye and to Duan Wu Ya's conditions.

After accepting her feelings for Lin Feng and his mutual feelings for her, they arrange to get married. However, on her wedding day, the Duan Clan attacked the wedding party and Lin Feng was forced to use his demon swords. With the Duan clan falling, she moved to Yangzhou City to take up residence in the Imperial Castle as Lin Feng's wife.

During this time, she was extremely worried about Lin Feng condition and spent many years waiting for news of him, until he appears again as a Tian Chi member, making her really happy with his current condition. But because of this, she hides the fact of the kidnapping of Lin Feng's parents scared of him turning back to a demon again. After solving the current problem, she saw he part again and was given the task, along with Lin Feng's mother, of healing Liu Fei's broken heart.

Years later during Empress Xi and Nether Emperor Gravestone appearance, she got again reunited with Lin Feng, this time he as someone at the top of the Tian Qi Layer, together with Liu Fei been she really happy for they accepting getting married, something she also wished for Liu Fei. During her time together with Lin Feng, he is amazed by her growth in cultivation level, being the stronger in the palace at Tian Qi Layer which she confess that she has been getting memories of strong cultivation techniques, which worried Lin Feng due to her circumstances together with Qiu Yue Xin.

After the events of the Gravestone, she gets to know about Yan Di's existence and she, together with the entire imperial palace, get moved inside Empress Xi Small world for their protection before Lin Feng Departs once again.

She meets Lin Feng once again after this, this time he as a 6th Zun Qi Layer cultivator, and is considered as an elder sister for both Lin Wushang and Liu Fei, which gives her great happiness. During this Lin Feng visit, she encourage Liu Fei to finally sleep with Lin Feng, something Liu Fei always wished after becoming Lin Feng's wife and Xin Ye wishing the same for her. After this the three person's relationship got closer and spent time together until Lin Feng's departure.

Years later during Lin Feng's time aboard, Xin Ye gets possessed by her other entity inside her, because of not having anyone able to stop the process, making her stronger than most people in the palace and giving her a cold aura, eventually leaving Xue Yue without any information of her current location.

Later on, it was revealed that Xin Ye is actually staying in Moon Palace together with Empress Xi. Lin Feng would come later on to destroy Moon Palace and take her back. Afterwards she lives in his small world in his body together with Yue Xin and the others. Α]


The Kentucky Peerless Distilling Company

As the wholesale market expands to Chicago and St. Louis, the production of Peerless liquor becomes substantial and reliable through the early 1900s.

Kraver is still operating under the auspices of Worsham Distilling Co. until 1907 when he incorporates as The Kentucky Peerless Distilling Company. The initial capital stock is $100,000.


Peerless ScStr - History

Peerless Technologies Corporation carries on the long tradition of excellence in service that’s been associated with the name “Peerless” in Dayton, Ohio, for nearly a century. As Peerless has grown and emphasized a commitment to deliver and exceed expectations, the company added clients and staff in both the commercial and Government sectors.

On Oct. 1, 2000, Peerless became the first company to move into The Entrepreneurs Center (TEC) and Edison Technology Incubator sponsored by the State of Ohio. Five years later, Peerless became the first company to formally graduate from TEC and built its corporate headquarters in Fairborn, Ohio, adjacent to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

Since 2000, Peerless Technologies has provided federal clients with solutions to challenging national security issues in land, sea, air, space and cyber domains. Peerless is committed to continue our support by solving these challenges for the next generation.

Michael Bridges, Owner & Founder


Peerless ScStr - History

By 1960, Peerless Cars Ltd. were in considerable financial difficulty and they were soon forced into liquidation. Despite this, the enthusiasm of the Directors continued. Rather than sell off the large quantities of spares and equipment for next to nothing, they formed a new company and restarted production on a more modest scale. The Phase 2 Peerless had (in company press releases) been described as the “Penultimate if not the Ultimate development”, so Bernie Rodger obviously had further refinements that he wished to incorporate. Thus the ‘Warwick’ was simply a natural progression in the evolution of the marque. Premises were found not far from Slough in Mill Lane, Horton (Berkshire) and Bernard Rodgers Developments Ltd. was established. Work began on the prototype, reverting to the name so nearly used earlier in the story, and derived from the county in which the idea was conceived, Warwickshire.

New techniques in glass fibre construction allowed considerable strengthening of the shell without the addition of extra weight. This strengthening was helped by incorporating a one-piece bulkhead which also eliminated the previous nuisances of heat, noise and draught. The bonnet was designed as one piece item, which pivoted forward from the front bumper area. This drastically improved access to the two-litre TR power unit and front suspension in fact, the pivot was manufactured in such a way that the entire front end of the car could be removed by undoing only two bolts. Instead of a modified Standard 10 radiator, a ducted TR3 copper core radiator was fitted as standard. The roofline was re-designed with the gutter being integrated in the GRP moulding in the form of smaller fins which swept down to blend with the lines of the tail fins. This stiffening the structure and it was thought to reduce wind noise at higher speeds.

Manufacture of the bodies was entrusted back to James Whitson and Co. who made the original Phase 1 bodies. It has been suggested that Bernie went back to Whitson’s because they had retained the Phase 1 moulds. These moulds were subsequently modified to produce the new Warwick GT.

Internally one of the obvious alterations was that the instrumentation was now centralised, simplifying the variations of LHD and RHD and providing a more balanced appearance. The interior was trimmed in grey vinide and black carpets, with leather seats as an option along with wire wheels, Webasto sliding sunroof, Smiths radio and safety belts. Standard colours were alpha red, primrose, pale blue, racing green and grey, other colours were available at extra cost.

The space frame of rectangular section steel tubing had a complete bridge welded into the structure to carry front suspension and engine mounts which reputably stiffened the frame as well as lightening it. Mechanically no modifications were made, although overdrive became standard rather than an option. A prototype was seen racing in the hands of Simon Hill and Bernie Rodger, who confirmed that the car had covered 3500 miles in the previous months, mostly under racing conditions. This prototype inherited the original Peerless factory owned registration � ABH’, and presumably the sole company tax disc!

The Warwick prototype can be seen here with another custom grill, which was later discarded in favour of a more conventional one

The new model was announced and road tests of one of the earliest cars (75 RBH) were published in March/April 1961 by Autosport, The Motor and The Autocar. Although “The Motor” considered that there was a little understeer or oversteer, with the handling remaining well balanced at all times, John Bolster, writing for “Autosport”, thought that the handling was not as sure as the Peerless he had previously tested. He initially believed that the Warwick had a tendency to bounce on bumpy corners, whereas his colleague in the passenger seat had been very impressed with the road holding, so he discounted his first assessment. Meanwhile, Stuart Bladon of “The Motor” tested the same car and criticised the road holding and suspension, suggesting that the combination of TR front suspension and the de Dion rear end did not work, with the matching springs not being ideal. Little roll was reported and although remaining stable and following the chosen line, he believed there was a tendency to understeer. For some unaccountable reason the car was at its best on right hand bends! Steering was noted to be heavier than the TR but redeemed itself at speed. Lack of ground clearance and ineffectiveness of the handbrake were common complaints. The TR handbrake fitted to the Peerless was excellent, however the Warwick had an umbrella type pull handle located under the dashboard which lacked sufficient leverage.

In no respect could the Warwick GT be said to lack performance. Powered by the two litre Triumph engine and weighing no more than the two seater TR3, the Warwick was quicker to about 55 mph and 90mph was achieved in about 30 seconds. The standing quarter mile was timed at a modest 18.5 seconds with a top speed of 105 mph, making it faster than any other closed four seaters in its price range . Thankfully this performance was not achieved at the expense of economy 30 miles per (Imperial) gallon was easily attainable, with 25 mpg to be expected under more rigorous conditions.

Notwithstanding all the criticism, even “The Motor” considered that although the Warwick may have seemed unacceptably rough, noisy and imperfect in some departments, at the basic price of £1666 it offered a distinctive combination of size, price and performance unique amongst British sports cars.


Latest classic Peerless cars offered in listings:

1927 Peerless Model 6-80 2 $4,695.00
1927 Peerless Model 6-80 2 $4,850.00
1927 Peerless Model 6-80 2 $4,850.00
1926 Peerless 6-72 12 $US $3,151.00
TECUMSEH MECHANICS MANUAL PEERLESS TRANSMISSION TRANSAXLE DIFFERENTIAL 1977 4 $34.95
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $14.00
TECUMSEH MECHANICS MANUAL PEERLESS TRANSMISSION TRANSAXLE DIFFERENTIAL 1977 4 $39.95
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $14.00
1927 PEERLESS BERLINE 7 PASS. 8 $US $10,100.00
TECUMSEH MECHANICS MANUAL PEERLESS TRANSMISSION TRANSAXLE DIFFERENTIAL 1977 4 $39.95
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $14.00
1956 King Midget Series/Model ll 10 $7,500.00
1926 Pierce Arrow Series 80 Roadster -- 12 $35,998.00
1956 King Midget Series/Model ll 10 $7,500.00
TECUMSEH MECHANICS MANUAL PEERLESS TRANSMISSION TRANSAXLE DIFFERENTIAL 1977 4 $39.95
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $14.00
1927 Other Makes 8 $US $15,100.00
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $US $14.00
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $US $14.00
TECUMSEH MECHANICS MANUAL PEERLESS TRANSMISSION TRANSAXLE DIFFERENTIAL 1977 4 $49.95
1974 Ford F-150 Ranger XLT SWB 4x4 Raven Black 390 AT AC SHOW TRUC 21 $25,000.00
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $US $14.00
1914 Cadillac Other 4 $89,900.00
Vintage 1960 Peerless Challenger Roller Mills Parts Operators Service Manuals 2 $21.99
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $US $14.00
1914 Cadillac Other 4 $89,900.00
1926 Ford Model T Speedster 12 $US $3,500.00
1914 Cadillac Other 4 $89,900.00
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $US $14.00
1926 Ford Model T Speedster 12 $US $4,000.00
1914 Cadillac Other 4 $89,900.00
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $US $14.00
1914 Cadillac Other 4 $89,900.00
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $US $14.00
1926 Ford Model T Speedster 12 $US $4,500.00
Vintage 1960 Peerless Challenger Roller Mills Parts Operators Service Manuals 2 $24.99
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $US $14.00
1926 Ford Model T Speedster 12 $US $5,000.00
Peerless Lauson Power Products, Full Size Color Litho from 1974 3 $US $14.00
own the most rare of the "3 P&aposs" 10 $39,700.00
1927 Peerless Six-90 Sedan- Rare Car For Sale - Ready to Show and Tour 12 $37,000.00
1927 Peerless Six-80 Sedan 76,152 Original Miles Project Car 4 $15,000.00
PEERLESS 6-60 Cleveland OHIO Motor Car Restored 12 $17,100.00
1929 PEERLESS MODEL 6-81 SOLID PERFECT FOR RESTORATION OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY 13 $19,750.00
1959 PEERLESS 11 £12,750.00
MEGA-RARE 1958 PEERLESS GT COMPLETE WITH CORRECT SPEC TR3 EQUIPMENT 8 £7,600.00
1959 Peerless GT 11 £4,300.00
1925 Peerless 4-door V-8, Model 67 11 $41,518.00

Classic Cars for Sale


  • Editor’s Note: This article is part of a weekly series on Kane County’s amazing history. Today’s article was contributed by Aurora Historical Society Board President Mary Clark Ormond and AHS Executive Director John Jaros. All photos are courtesy of theAurora Historical Society.

What is it about Aurora that fosters literary women who want to educate children? Over the years, we have had more than one, but let us now consider Olive Beaupre Miller, scion of two illustrious Aurora families, who in the 1920s through the 󈨀s created a wildly successful publishing house and gave us all peerless anthologies of stories, fables, folktales and poems from her own pen and from all over the world.

Olive Kennon Beaupre (later Miller), was born in Aurora in 1883 to William S. and Julia Brady Beaupre. Her grandfather was L. D. Brady, a founder of the CB and Q Railroad. Brady Elementary School in Aurora is named for him.

Her father was William S. Beaupre, president of the Aurora National Bank, Aurora city treasurer and longtime member of the East Aurora School Board. Beaupre Elementary School in Aurora is named for him.

She was, shall we say, abundantly prepared for her intellectual and business life.

She grew up comfortably on South Lincoln Avenue in Aurora and graduated from East Aurora High School in 1900. After graduating from elite Smith College, she returned home briefly to teach English at East High, then in 1907 married Harry Edward Miller.

At first the couple followed Harry’s career in publishing, moving to Streator (where they joined the Christian Science Church), but returning to Aurora around 1910 to live across the street from the house where Olive grew up and where her parents, older sister and brother-in-law still lived.

No doubt the 1912 arrival of the Millers’ daughter, Virginia, at what is now 322 S. Lincoln Ave. inspired them to consider the role literature could play in early childhood education. Rhymes and stories for little Virginia poured from Olive’s pen and she began to formulate a larger plan.

By 1919, the family was living in Winnetka, and Harry had quit his brokerage job to establish, with Olive, the My Book House for Children Publishing Company.

Olive’s genius, fed by a good education and a passion for literature, was a thorough understanding of child development, which she intended to put to use offering *thinking parents* a large, carefully curated collection of world literature that met her elevated standards.

She expressed her guiding principles this way:

“First, — To be well equipped for life, to have ideas and the ability to express them, the child needs a broad background of familiarity with the best in literature.

“Second, — His stories and rhymes must be selected with care that he may absorb no distorted view of life and its actual values, but may grow up to be mentally clear about values and emotionally impelled to seek what is truly desirable and worthwhile in human living.

“Third, — The stories and rhymes selected must be graded to the child’s understanding at different periods of his growth, graded as to vocabulary, as to subject matter and as to complexity of structure and plot.”

Her products were admirable. The vocabulary and content of the books were graded to suit the age of the child, the illustrations were by some of the most talented artists of the day and the parent guidebook, In Your Hands, contained a massive amount of guidance on how to best foster a child’s intellectual, moral and social growth.

The business flourished, and the family acquired a country place, Green Meadow Farm in Barrington, as well as domestic help that included maids and chauffeurs.

The Millers, often including young Virginia, became world travelers as they scoured Europe, Asia, the Middle East and South America to collect tales that would engage even the youngest child while opening up an older child’s mind to the wider world. Ships’ records show Olive returning from abroad on at least nine occasions.

Some of their editorial decisions have not stood the test of time, such as the inclusion of the now-controversial stories Little Black Sambo and The Tar Baby.

In 1934. the New York Times Review of Books praised Olive’s newest effort, Engines and Brass Bands – Waubonsie Tales, for being chock-full of the details of life in a Midwestern town in the 1890s and for having “perfect” illustrations, but then said, “It seems a pity that Mrs. Miller did not use her material to make two books … No child … could possibly read so long and so complicated a narrative while the adult who is ready to enjoy a reminiscent picture of childhood 35 or 40 years ago will long to dispense with the, to him, not very interesting plot.”

Interestingly, another Aurora author, Mabel O’Donnell, created similarly detailed stories of early American times as the capstones of her Alice and Jerry graded readers. Her Singing Wheels and Engine Whistles books from the 1940s were based on Aurora history.

Here is how the Book House company described their first release of six volumes. (Later editions split the material up into 12 volumes so that small hands and little bodies could get closer to the stories, and there would be less wear and tear on the spines and paper. Olive wanted the books to last through several generations.)

The titles envision a child growing up in a Book House, from the sunshine of the Nursery, climbing up one pair of stairs to Folk Tales and though the hall of Fairy Tales, pausing to explore a Treasure Chest of legends and ascending to the Tower Window, where the whole of literature lies spread out.

“Far stretches all the world away
and naught shuts out the sky
And knights, and maids and all of life
Go marching, marching by.”

In the final volume, Latch-Key, the children take the key and enter in, for me are all its glories.”

No mother or father, it seemed, need ever worry that by investing in these books they weren’t going to get the world on a plate – the very best of writing, ethics, character and culture. In addition, the stories their children would read or hear would prepare them to outshine their classmates in school and to become successes in business and life in general.

That must have been catnip to many American parents with high aspirations but average educations themselves.

Perhaps the piece de resistance of My Book House marketing was an actual book house, a smartly designed 21.5 inch-high wooden box, available “for a slight additional cost” according to a promotional brochure which also offered a page of 30 circles into which children could press their dimes in a *savings game*.

Adding coins “Every time you earn a dime for helping mother or father, or for running on errands or for taking care of the baby …” would add up to $3.00, which, it turns out, would have been just enough for a down payment on a set of books, no house included, but as a customer you were engaged and motivated. And ultimately well-rewarded because truly the books were good.

Olive Beaupre Miller was also a woman ahead of her time. She helped to promote sex education in the Winnetka public schools and edited the book How Life Begins. She ran an all-female business, exclusively hiring women as door-to-door salespeople and also as managers for her operations which spread across the U.S.

Today the books are not just charming bits of vintage Americana but also beloved by the homeschooling community because parents and teachers can use the excellent indices to research and plan on a variety of themes, including virtue, strong character, heroes, famous myths and so on. It’s almost like having a librarian in the family.

Harry left the company after their divorce in 1935 and Olive, living then on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, served

She died in 1968 in Tucson, Arizona where she was living with Virginia and her family, and is buried in Spring Lake Cemetery in Aurora. Virginia Miller Read died in 2008 and is buried along with her father in Barrington.

Olive’s papers are housed at Smith College.

The books are relatively widely available both online and through simple serendipity at garage sales, with prices ranging from the ridiculously low to the sublimely high for full sets in mint condition. You can access some of the volumes by clicking this link or hear recordings of some stories at Librivox.

About The Aurora Historical Society

Giving the past a future! In continuous operation since 1906, the Aurora Historical Society is one of the oldest institutions in the Chicagoland area. Come tour the 1857 Tanner House, visit our changing exhibits at the David L. Pierce Art and History Center or make an appointment to do research at our History Center.

Enjoy our special events such as lectures, cocktail parties for exhibit openings, July 4th Ringing of the Bells, and Holiday Open Houses at the Tanner House Museum. Shop in our gift shop. Enjoy history. We’ll be happy to see you.


Rockville Timeline

8000 B.C. Archaic period of prehistory. After thousands of years of following big game herds, hunters settled into semi-nomadic lives in area which became Montgomery County.

1000 B.C. Native groups established year-round agricultural villages.

1200 A.D. Natives competed for river and forest resources, resulting in a succession of population displacements.

1717-35 Arthur Nelson surveyed and patented four tracts of land totaling 3,162 acres in the Rockville area.

1739 Chapel-of-ease built to accommodate westernmost settlers in Prince George’s (Anglican) Parish. Later became Christ Episcopal Church.

1740s “Rolling road” in use by tobacco planters and north-south travelers.

1748 Frederick County created, including Rockville area. Frederick Town selected County seat.

1755 British General Edward Braddock camped at Owen’s Ordinary enroute to defeat at Fort Duquesne at start of French & Indian War.

1760s Joseph Elgar built saw and grist mills on Rock Creek, later known as Muncaster Mill. William Dent and William Williams also constructed grist and saw mill, later Horner Mill.

1774 Patriots met at Charles Hungerford’s tavern to issue resolves supporting Boston protestors against British taxation.

1776 Frederick County divided, lower section named Montgomery County. Crossroads settlement at Hungerford’s tavern selected as new County seat.

1777 First Court session in Leonard Davis’ tavern. Village known as “Montgomery Court House”.

1784 William Williams divided part of “Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged” into 85 “lotts with streets fit, convenient and suitable for a town”, which he named Williamsburgh.

1787 Court House Square surveyed and laid out for Court House and jail.

1794 Post office established at Montgomery Court House.

1801 New County jail erected.

1801-3 Maryland Assembly passed Acts to re-survey lots and erect a town to be called “Rockville”. Work completed and Plan of Rockville, dated May 9, 1803, recorded in the Land Records of Montgomery County.

1805 Washington Turnpike Company chartered to build a road from George Town to Rockville.

1812 Rockville Academy opened with 30 students.

1813 Henry Shouse and Otho Williams opened saw and grist mill operation on Watts Branch. Later called Wootton’s Mill.

1814 President James Madison, General William Henry Winder, and troops came through Montgomery Court House after British burned Washington, D.C.

1817 Saint Mary’s Catholic Church constructed.

1822 Christ Episcopal Church moved into town.

1820s Town enlarged by first two additions to Rockville.

1833 Meteor shower dazzled Rockville residents.

1835 Samuel Clarke Veirs opened saw and grist mill on Rock Creek.

1838 Richard Johns and Catharine Bowie purchased tracts of land east of town and built farmhouse they called Glenview.

1840 New Montgomery County Court House constructed.

1846 Montgomery County Agricultural Society organized. Began tradition of County Fair in Rockville. Opened Fair Grounds on the Pike in 1848.

1860 Town of Rockville incorporated by Act of the Maryland General Assembly. Voters elected three commissioners and a bailiff.

1861 First public school opened for white students in Rockville.

1862-64 Rockville slaves emancipated.

1863 Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart captured prisoners, horses, and wagons in Rockville and headed north toward Pennsylvania.

1864 Confederate troops under General Jubal Early skirmished with Union troops and seized town records enroute to battle of Fort Stevens in Washington.

1865 Freedmen’s Bureau opened in Rockville to assist former slaves.

1869 Rockville Library Association and Masonic Lodge formed.

1873 Metropolitan Branch of Baltimore & Ohio Railroad opened through Montgomery County. Town of Rockville enlarged corporate limits and extended boardwalk to the new depot.

1876 First public school opened for colored students in Rockville.

1880 Rockville Cemetery Association incorporated as non-denominational community burial ground.

1884 First commercial bank in the County, Montgomery County National Bank, opened in Rockville.

1888 New town charter changed governing body from Town Commissioners to Mayor and Council of Rockville.

1889 First telephone installed at Fearon’s drug store on Montgomery Avenue.

1890 Mayor and Council issued first building permit to Thomas Dawson. New Rockville Academy building constructed.

1891 Montgomery County built new court house (Red Brick Courthouse). Lincoln Park subdivision recorded in Land Records.

1892 Montgomery County’s first high school (later called Rockville, then Richard Montgomery) opened on Monroe Street for grades 8 through 11.

1894 Coxey’s Army marched through Rockville on way to protest in Washington, D.C.

1897 Town constructed water pumping station and electric light plant. Electric service available but not all areas covered until circa 1920.

1899 Rockville Base Ball Club organized.

1900 Woman’s Club of Rockville founded. First trolley traveled the Rockville & Tennallytown Electric Railroad up the Pike to the Fair Grounds.

c. 1905 Rockville Pike taken over by State Roads Commission.

1910 Dr. Dexter Bullard opened the doors of Chestnut Lodge Sanitarium in the former Woodlawn Hotel.

1912 Chautauqua came to Rockville. Order of Galilean Fishermen organized in Rockville as sick and burial society for black residents. SECO, Rockville’s first movie theatre, opened for silent films and vaudeville shows.

1913 Typhoid epidemic in Rockville, resulting in town sewerage system.

1918-9 Influenza epidemic struck hundreds in Rockville.

1921 Rockville Volunteer Fire Department organized. Rockville Library moved into Dr. Stonestreet’s office.

1924 Croydon Park subdivision platted at Court House.

1925 Rockville Chamber of Commerce organized. Veirs and Muncaster mills, powered by water, closed. Hickerson Brothers set up steam-powered mill at railroad tracks.

1926 Rockville free delivery postal service began. Dr. and Mrs. James A. Lyon enlarged and renovated Glenview mansion. Welsh Field opened for athletic events, near Jefferson Street.

1927 First high school for Montgomery County black students built on North Washington Street. First traffic signal, a “stop and go” light installed at corner of Washington Street and Montgomery Avenue.

1928 Congressional Airport and School of Aeronautics opened on the Rockville Pike.

1931 Montgomery County opened new Court House and jail in Town Center. Author F. Scott Fitzgerald attended father’s funeral at Saint Mary’s Church.

1932 Mayor and Council adopted first Zoning Ordinance.

1935 Montgomery Hotel on Commerce Lane razed and replaced by Milo Theater. School bus-train accident resulted in closing of Baltimore Road track crossing and in construction of bridge over Veirs Mill Road.

1936 William B. Gibbs, principal of Rockville Colored Elementary School, filed suit for equal pay.

1939 Rockville’s first permanent post office dedicated, at corner of Washington Street and Montgomery Avenue. Cabin John creek sewage disposal plant built.

1940 F. Scott Fitzgerald buried in Rockville Cemetery. First sections of Rockcrest and Roxboro developed.

1944 Memorial Day parade tradition revived in Rockville.

1945 V-J Day celebrated in Court House Square with parade and speeches.

1946 Parking meters installed in business district.

1947 First large apartment complex built in Rockville. Rockville Little Theatre organized. Rockville Citizens Association formed.

1948 Position of City Manager created. First summer recreation program.

1949 Mass annexation into Rockville of 2,210 acres.

1950 Rockville Kiwanis Club organized.

1951 Rockville By-Pass (Hungerford Drive) opened. George Washington Carver High School and Junior College opened. Rockville created Civil Defense program.

1951-7 Hill & Kimmel purchased properties on Washington Street and Middle Lane to develop three strip shopping centers.

1953 New County Office Building replaced Welsh athletic field. Large land area along Pike near Halpine annexed into City of Rockville.

1954 National Municipal League and Look Magazine honored Rockville with All-America City Award. Rockville Boys Baseball Association organized.

1955 General Assembly granted Home Rule to Maryland municipalities, giving Rockville annexation and other powers. Rockville Jaycees organized. Rockville Chamber of Commerce chartered. WINX operated radio station on Baltimore Road.

1956 Mayor & Council appointed first Planning Commission. Clinton A.M.E. Zion Church relocated in Lincoln Park. Rockville Civitan Club organized.

1957 Rockville joined Montgomery County library system. City purchased Lyon estate (Glenview) and 28 acres for cultural, recreational, and social uses. Rockville Pike widened to four lanes. U.S. Route 240 (now I-270) completed through Rockville, connecting Washington, D.C. with Frederick County. Pinneberg, Germany established Sister City relationship with Rockville. Rockville Art League and Rockville Concert Band founded.

1958 Unitarian Church of Rockville founded as a fellowship. New sewer system installed for Cabin John creek drainage area. Rockville installed new water system, supplied by Potomac River.

1959 First public housing project in Montgomery County, 65 units known as Lincoln Terrace, built in Rockville. Congressional Plaza shopping center opened on site of former Congressional Airport. Elwood Smith teen center opened. John Gray, director of Public Works, developed formula for Smooth-Seal method of asphalting.

1960 Rockville celebrated Centennial of incorporation. First Master Plan adopted. Agreement between Rockville and Montgomery County established Maximum Expansion Limits. Auditorium built at Rockville Civic Center Park. First Antique and Classic Car Show. Modern Zoning Ordinance adopted, with first Comprehensive Map Amendment. Sit-in demonstrations at HiBoy Restaurant.

1960s Richard Montgomery High School dominated high school football in Maryland.

1961 Montgomery County Detention Center opened on former Poor Farm property. Rockville Industrial Park opened as city’s first for research and development. City of Rockville initiated Urban Renewal project in downtown Rockville. All-America Award #2. Julius West Junior High School opened.

1962 New City Hall built on site of former Peter home. Rockville enacted Public Accommodations law.

1963 First comprehensive residential developments –Meadow Hall and Woodley Gardens. “Lilith” filmed in Rockville.

1964 City of Rockville split Parks & Recreation Department from Public Works. City continued to add park land as new subdivisions opened. Capital Beltway completed. First Citizens’ Forum.

1965 Demolition in central business district begun. Montgomery Junior College opened Rockville campus. Solid waste landfill and incinerator opened on Southlawn Lane. City purchased Beall-Dawson house. Rockville Football League and Rockville Arts Council formed. Rockville surpassed Cumberland and Hagerstown to become second largest city in Maryland. Began municipal refuse collection. First synagogue, Beth-Tikva, built on Baltimore Road.

1966 New Saint Mary’s Church constructed. Near-demise of old Saint Mary’s Chapel led to historic district ordinance for Rockville. First Spring Arts Festival. First computer introduced at City Hall (NCR 500).

1967 Fair Housing law passed. Community Ministries of Rockville formed to coordinate welfare services of churches and community. First resident moved into New Mark Commons.

1968 Municipal Swim Center opened.

1969 Wootton High School opened.

1970 Rockville High School opened. “Street 70″ created. Lincoln Park Community Center built. Senior Citizen Commission and Economic Development Council established. Rockville purchased RedGate farm.

1971 New Rockville Library opened on Maryland Avenue.

1972 Rockville Mall dedicated. Rockville Community Chorus formed. At a telephone booth in Rockville, James McCord received orders to carry out plans of Committee to Reelect the President to bug Watergate office.

1974 Mayor and Council designated first three historic districts in Montgomery County. Peerless Rockville, Rockville Musical Theatre, and Rockville Civic Ballet chartered. RedGate Golf Course opened. Maryland Court of Appeals retains entire city in new 17 th Legislative District.

1975 Remains of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald moved from Rockville Cemetery to Saint Mary’s Cemetery. Twinbrook Library opened on Meadow Hall Road. Zoning Ordinance recodified.

1976 All-America Award #3.

1978 Art in Public Places created. Cultural Arts Commission and Victorian Lyric Opera Company formed.

1978 All-America City Award #4. Rockville created Humanities Commission, one of the first jurisdictions in the nation to do so.

1981 County began operating Ride-On buses in Rockville.

1982 Rockville Senior Center opened. Montgomery County Judicial Center and Executive Office Building constructed. First neighborhood plans–Croydon Park and Twinbrook–adopted.

1984 Metro Red Line extended to Rockville and Shady Grove.

1985 Rockville Cable TV began operations.

1988 National Chamber Orchestra took up residency at F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre.

1989 First Hometown Holidays sponsored by Recreation Department. Rockville Arts Place organized. Rockville farmers’ market opened.

1991 Circumferential highway around Rockville completed, comprised of Gude Drive, Wootton Parkway, and First Street.

1993 Rockville Mall demolished. Thomas Farm annexed into City of Rockville. New comprehensive Master Plan adopted.

1995 King Farm annexed into City of Rockville. Marlo Furniture store, first of the “big box” retail stores, opened on the Rockville Pike. First female mayor elected (Rose G. Krasnow)

1996 Restoration of grand courtroom in the Red Brick Courthouse completed.

1997 “Imagine Rockville” visioning process. Courthouse Square Park created, with “Spirit of Rockville” fountain. Street grid returned to Town Center.

1998 Regal Cinemas opened in Town Center.

2000 City of Rockville celebrated the Millennium Year with events, contests, and commissioning of history. Rockville slips to fifth largest city in Maryland.

2002 Rockville’s population exceeded 50,000.

2007 Public and private partners dedicated new Town Center development.

2008 Mayor and Council designated the first recent past building, the 1971 Rockville Library, a historic district, (demolished in 2009).

2010 Celebration of Sesquicentennial of Incorporation.

2011 Groundbreaking of Choice Hotels International corporate headquarters in Town Center.


[email protected]

The Peerless Rockville staff is working remotely to continue to serve the public in new and innovative ways and we need your help NOW to take our photographs, information, and archives digital. With your donations, we will work to transform selected parts of our massive collections of objects, maps, and images into content accessible on-line
This closure and the loss of income from our historic Montrose Schoolhouse has severely impacted our funding. Your support through this campaign will provide needed operating funds as well the technology needed to get our new internet content up and accessible.

Donate today to help us bring you [email protected]!

In times such as these, humanities education is more important than ever.

Join Peerless Rockville and the Glenview Mansion Speaker Series as we welcome Robin Zanotti, President of the C&O Canal Trust. The C&O Canal National Historical Park is celebrating its 50th year as part of the National Park Service! Started in 1828 as a dream of quick passage to the American West, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal was a lifeline for communities along the Potomac River as fuel and all kinds of goods floated down the waterway to market. It became a National Historic Park in 1971, saved by preservationists after the area became a target for development in the 1950s.

Artist Deirdre Saunder joins Peerless Rockville to discuss her beautiful public art pieces located throughout and near the City of Rockville. You see her work in front of the Old Red Brick Courthouse, in Mary Trumbo Park, the Lincoln Park Community Center, and more! Hear from the artist on the process of creating these pieces and where you can find more of her work locally. Saunder, a former Rhodes Scholar and a resident artist in the Carpenter Center at Harvard University, has lived in Rockville since 1998. She started making public art in 1994 with her first installation at Elwood Smith Park.

Join author Ellen Prentiss Campbell in conversation with Peerless Rockville, launching her new novel Frieda’s Song, inspired by the life and work of renowned psychiatrist Frieda Fromm-Reichmann who fled Nazi Germany in 1935 and lived and worked at the Lodge, establishing its reputation for innovative treatment of mental illness, dying in her custom-built cottage on the grounds in 1957.

Campbell’s riveting novel explores the lives of the remarkable Frieda Fromm-Reichmann and fictional current day psychotherapist Eliza Kline who—fifty-two years after Frieda’s death—now lives in the Cottage. Eliza, a struggling clinician and single mother, seeks inspiration in Frieda’s work and finds surprising ways Frieda still inhabits the Cottage. The novel is a tale of how history and chance, and the work and people we love, shape our lives—and how the past remains present.

Frieda’s Cottage was deeded to Peerless Rockville, carefully restored, and returned to its original use as a residence in 2009. In honor of Dr. Fromm-Reichmann’s extraordinary achievements, Frieda’s Cottage – her home and office at Chestnut Lodge for more than 20 years, and an iconic place in the history of psychiatry – was recently declared a National Historic Landmark.

Learn how Peerless Rockville restored Frieda’s Cottage, preserving its integrity, promoting her place in history, and culminating in the designation of Rockville’s first National Historic Landmark.

Join Peerless Rockville and Professor Gail Hornstein, author of To Redeem One Person Is to Redeem the World: The Life of Frieda Fromm-Reichmann, as she tells the inspiring story of the German-Jewish refugee analyst who was able to successfully treat people diagnosed with severe forms of emotional distress using intensive psychotherapy, rather than medication, lobotomy, or shock treatment. In honor of Fromm-Reichmann’s extraordinary achievements, Frieda’s Cottage – her home and office at Chestnut Lodge for more than 20 years, and an iconic place in the history of psychiatry – was recently declared a National Historic Landmark. Click here to view the Q+A.

Ralph Buglass, the co-author of Peerless Rockville’s pictorial history Images of America: Rockville showcases our city’s treasures–along with historic gems that have fallen victim to the passage of time. See if you agree with his picks…and see how many of the lost treasures you remember!

Still need your copy? Order today from our website. Buying it from us is a direct way to support heritage education and preservation in your community.


Watch the video: THALETEC SEGTEC System in 450l glass lined reactor