George “Bugs” Moran is arrested

George “Bugs” Moran is arrested

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

FBI agents arrest George “Bugs” Moran, along with fellow crooks Virgil Summers and Albert Fouts, in Kentucky. Once one of the biggest organized crime figures in America, Moran had been reduced to small bank robberies by this time. He died in prison 11 years later.

Bugs Moran’s criminal career took an abrupt downturn after the infamous St. Valentine’s Day Massacre in 1929, in which his top gunmen were slaughtered by rival Al Capone’s henchmen. (A lasting feud had been established after Capone’s men killed Moran’s friend and mentor, Deanie O’Banion, in 1924.) Moran, who just missed the massacre by a couple of minutes, was visibly shaken when reporters talked to him days later. He shouted at them, “Only Capone kills like that!”

Al “Scarface” Capone established his alibi by vacationing in Florida at the time of the Valentine’s Day murders. Sitting poolside, he mocked Moran, chuckling as he told reporters, “The only man who kills like that is Bugs Moran.” Later, while Capone was serving time for tax evasion, Moran may have earned a measure of revenge by killing Jack McGurn, one of the men who had carried out the massacre.

A bank robbery charge conviction eventually landed Moran in Leavenworth federal prison. He was released in 1956, but was then re-arrested for an earlier bank robbery. He died in prison of lung cancer on February 2, 1957.

George ‘Bugs’ Moran

Born on the 21st of August 1893, George ‘Bugs’ Moran was a famous American mobster, bootlegger and a prominent figure in the North Side Gang that was popular in the Prohibition-era. Born Adelard Cunin, he rose in the mafia ranks to one of the most powerful and feared gangsters in Chicago. He used fear and assassinations (drive-by Shootings) to assert his authority in the dreaded American mob world. Jouez aux machines à sous au casino en ligne. Although he was a common gangster, his breakthrough came in during the famous American Prohibition era where he majored in bootlegging and roulette wheel. He was actively involved in the distribution and selling of banned alcoholic drinks and beverages. He lived a gangster life often evading the authorities as well as fighting his rivals, the South Side Gang (The Chicago Outfit) He passed on in February 25, 1957 while serving a 10 year sentence at the Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary.

Chicago Gangsters!

George Clarence "Bugs" Moran was born Adelard Cunin on August 21, 1891 and died in Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary , February 25, 1957. He was a Chicago Prohibition -era gangster born in St. Paul , Minnesota . Moran, of Polish - Irish descent, moved to the North side of Chicago when he was 19 and was affiliated with several gangs while being incarcerated three times before turning 21. At his first major arrest, he gave the name "George Miller." Arrested again later, he did not want to use the same name, and identified himself as "George Clarence Moran." This name stayed with him, though he used several other aliases at one time or another.

Moran became a criminal as an adolescent. When he was 19 years old, he moved into Chicago and began to rise through the ranks there. He would be jailed three times when he was only 20 years old.

Moran's fierce temper became generally known in the underworld. His temper earned him the nickname “Bugs,” gangland slang for "completely crazy." One possibly apocryphal story relates that he first attained the name after arriving at a tailor shop to pick up a suit he had ordered. When told the price of the finished suit, he became enraged and left the shop after breaking the tailor's arms and legs.

Prohibition was established during 1919 with the enactment of the 18th Amendment, which banned the distribution of alcoholic beverages. It was meant to improve society: however, the plan backfired when criminal enterprises sprang up to smuggle liquor. They manufactured or stole it and sold it for great profit. The popularity of alcohol and lack of legal competition ensured an endless supply of customers. This smuggling of alcohol was called bootlegging . Soon, the criminals and gangsters were enjoying profits beyond anything the basic rackets had ever provided to them, including Dion O'Banion and his group of mostly Irish thugs, who became known as the "North Side Gang."

Johnny Torrio and his lieutenant, Al “Scarface” Capone , moved to the South side of Chicago , absorbed the territory and pushed the Southside O’Donnells (an Irish group of brothers that held a piece of the Southside and claimed it as their turf) out of the way. They gathered followers quickly and were the “Italian family” of Chicago since a majority of their group was Italian. Torrio, who did not like violence, quickly moved to establish a borderline for each gang’s territory.

Torrio tried to establish a partnership between himself and O’Banion, and it worked for quite some time. But the Gennas (a Sicilian group of brothers who owned a piece of the Southside territory and were partners of Torrio/Capone) wanted to extend their interests into other territory. They moved their liquor into O’Banions territory and sold it for half as much as what O’Banion sold it for. He was being cheated in his own territory. He quickly went to Torrio and requested help. Torrio managed to talk the Gennas down in the interest of peace. But O’Banion wasn’t pleased and decided to strike back instead. He started hijacking the Gennas shipments and selling them himself.

He then would provoke the Italians even more by directly insulting them, calling them “greaseballs” or "dagos.” This angered the Italians even more.

Moran and O'Banion also insulted Capone to the press, usually by calling him "Scarface" or "the Behemoth."

Two events would trigger the assassination of O'Banion. The first was between O'Banion and the Gennas. Torrio was on vacation and left Al Capone in charge of the operations. O'Banion came to collect a $30,000 debt from Angelo Genna, the Genna family leader.

Capone explained to O'Banion that Angelo could not pay the debt and maybe he should pass it on as good faith to keep the peace. O'Banion refused and later telephoned Genna and stated that he had better pay the debt in a week.

The next event would be the setting up of Torrio in a police raid. O'Banion contacted Torrio and stated he wanted to retire from the business and sell some of his profits to Torrio. Torrio, excited that there would be no more problems between them, jumped at the idea and met O'Banion at the warehouse. They started talking and shared a few jokes, but then the police burst in and arrested both men for Prohibition-related charges. O'Banion started to laugh, but Torrio panicked. He knew that this was his second offense and thus, he would likely do jail time.

Both men posted bail and got out. Torrio then learned O'Banion had known about the raid all along, and it was a setup. "I guess I rubbed that pimp's nose in the mud," O'Banion stated.

The Italians therefore passed a vote to kill O'Banion. They hired independent killers to do the job and waited for Mike Merlo , the leader of the Unione Siciliana , to die because Merlo who was also a man of peace refused to allow O'Banion to be killed.

The killers were Frankie Yale , along with John Scalise and Albert Anselmi (colloquially known as the "Murder Twins"). They tracked O'Banion to his flower shop and entered. O'Banion, expecting flowers for Merlo's funeral to be picked wasn't suspicious of the men or their intentions.

Yale outstretched his hand for O'Banion to shake. O'Banion obliged. Scalise and Anselmi then drew their pistols and shot O'Banion to death.

The killers got away. The North Side gang members had lost their commander. Capone and Torrio thought that O'Banion's death might end their troubles.

Moran and the rest of the group went to O'Banion's lavish funeral. Capone and Torrio also attended the funeral, and Moran vowed to take revenge.

Earl "Hymie" Weiss took control of the North Side Gang and Moran became underboss. They were ready to strike back.

On January 25 , 1925 , Weiss and Moran waited for Torrio outside his home. It was their intention to take him by surprise and kill him. Torrio arrived with his wife after doing a little shopping. With Drucci at the wheel, Moran and Weiss leapt out of the car and began shooting at Torrio. Torrio was hit several times and slumped to the ground. Moran walked up to Torrio and attempted to deliver the final shot to his skull. However, the gun was out of ammunition, saving Torrio's life. An angered Moran was forced to flee the scene with Torrio still alive, but unconscious. After this abortive hit, the terrified Torrio elected to retire and pass the operations of the Chicago Outfit to his protégé, Al Capone .

Now that Torrio was gone, it was time to go after an old rival -- the Gennas, who were the cause of O'Banion's and Torrio's broken partnership.

The Northsiders first went after Angelo. The Gennas had killed their commander: it was time for Moran and his gang to do the same. Moran (along with Weiss and a few others) ambushed Angelo and engaged in a dangerous car chase with the Sicilian leader. After Angelo crashed into a building, their car pulled to a halt next to Angelo's and the Northsiders blasted away, killing the crime leader. This was a terrible setback for the Gennas. Much of their power and influence had died with Angelo.

The Gennas mourned the loss of the brother and realized their business was going downhill. Next, Mike "The Devil" Genna engaged in a fierce gun battle with the Northsiders, but failed to kill his rivals. Not long after, he himself was gunned down by police in a vicious shootout.

Finally, Tony Genna was shot to death. However, it was rumored that it was Capone, not the Northsiders, who ordered the death of Genna. Capone allegedly ordered Genna's murder to destroy finally the weakened Genna Family.

Their power destroyed, the rest of the Gennas fled Chicago.

The bootlegging operation of Earl Weiss and Bugs Moran continued to pose a significant challenge to Capone's South Side Gang. Moran and Capone then lead a turf war with each other that cost both of them their friends and cost Capone his freedom. Moran’s hatred of Capone was apparent even to the public: he told the press that "Capone is a lowlife." Moran was also disgusted that Capone engaged in prostitution . Believing himself a better Catholic than Capone, Moran refused to run brothels .

Moran and his gang made two attempts to strike back at Al Capone. The first was an attempt on Capone's life. Moran (possibly with Drucci and Weiss) was driving around town searching for Capone. They found his car parked alongside the curb and saw Capone getting out. They let loose a volley of shots. Capone and his men jumped to the ground while their driver was injured and the car pelted with bullets. Although startled, Capone survived the attack and would be driven around in an armored car after that.

Second, Moran would himself eliminate Capone's personal security. He kidnapped one of Capone's most trusted bodyguards. He then tortured him with wire and cigarettes before finally executing him and dumping the body.

On September 20 , 1926 , Moran again attempted to kill Capone, this time in Cicero, Illinois , the base of Capone’s operations. A fleet of cars, with Moran in personal command, drove by the lobby of Capone's hotel. Capone and his bodyguard were drinking downstairs when the Moran gang began shooting into the lobby with their Thompson submachine guns . The attack left Capone unhurt but afraid, and his restaurant was reduced to shreds. Although Capone escaped unharmed, the hotel attack traumatized him: he called for a truce. However, the truce did not last long.

Weiss was then gunned down weeks later after the Hawthorne attack. The two sides then traded more murderous violence before everyone decided enough was enough. A peace conference was held to hopefully sort everything out. Moran appeared grudgingly, along with Capone and the rest of the gang bosses. Capone stated "they were making a shooting gallery of a great business" and Chicago "should be seen as pie and each gang gets an individual slice." Everybody agreed and peace had finally arrived.

For the first time in years, there wasn't any gang warfare. Drucci himself was killed as a result of an altercation with the police. Both Capone and Moran attended his funeral. Moran now realized that his friends (O'Banion, Weiss, and Drucci) were gone and he was the sole commander of the gang. Capone realized this too, which is why he didn't attack first because he knew a war with Moran would result in great bloodshed.

Both sides kept a close watch on each other after that. Moran would regularly annoy Capone by having his shipments hijacked and selling them for profit. Capone retaliated by burning Moran's dog track. Moran had one of Capone's clubs burned soon after.

Moran also killed numerous friends and gang members of Capone, which both angered and saddened him. It also frightened him into having 15 (or more) bodyguards around him. Moran further wore down Capone, both physically and mentally, by agreeing to truces, only to break them within hours. Capone eventually stated that regretted he ever came to Chicago. "If I knew I was gonna deal with this, I'd never would've left Five Points," he stated.

Moran then decided to order the death of Antonio Lombardo and Pasqualino "Patsy" Lolordo . Both men were personal friends of Capone as well as the head of the Unione Siciliana , the base of Capone's power. Capone went into mourning after their murders and his hatred for Moran grew even more. Moran also decided to escalate the war further by hijacking Capone's shipments. The Sheldon Gang , supposedly allies of the South Siders, were suspected of supplying liquor to Moran. Capone's own allies were aiding Moran.

In 1929, Capone tried to strike a decisive blow against Moran with the notorious St. Valentine’s Day Massacre . Gunmen dressed as police lined up a number of Moran associates against the wall in a Chicago warehouse and executed them. However, the main target of the “hit,” (Moran) narrowly eluded death. Moran spotted the squad car outside the warehouse and, believing a raid was in progress, doubled back to a coffee shop with his bodyguards. Another North Sider, Al Weinshank, was misidentified as Moran by one of Capone's lookouts, who signaled for the attack to begin. Though appalled by the massacre, Moran would continue a turf war with Capone (but to a lesser extent) and also manage to thwart a territory takeover by Frank McErlane , wounding him in a gun battle.

Contrary to popular belief, Moran managed to keep control of his territory and what remained of his gang through the end of Prohibition and through the early 30's. But with the repeal of the Volstead Act (the very thing that put the gangsters into power) the North Side gang declined along with many other gangs and Moran decided to leave Chicago after a few years. However, Capone did not go unpunished either. After the massacre, the government and the public expressed a new level of outrage with gangland killings and shootouts. With the government coming at him from all sides, Capone himself started to decline. The government managed to convict Capone of tax evasion and send him to prison in 1932.

In April 1930, Frank J. Loesch , chairman of the Chicago Crime Commission had compiled a " Public Enemies " list of 28 people he designated as corrupting Chicago. Capone topped the list and Moran ranked sixth. The list was published widely and ensured Moran's notoriety.

In 1936, Jack "Machine Gun" McGurn , who helped orchestrate the St. Valentine's Day Massacre for Capone, was found murdered on February 15th, seven years and three days after the massacre. A valentine was left in the lobby of the bowling alley where he was murdered, which included a rhyming joke. Since Moran treasured pranks, a legacy of his mentor Dion O'Banion , it was commonly assumed Moran committed the murder in retaliation for the slaughter of his gang, though others point to Frank Nitti as the force behind the killing, as McGurn had become a drunken loudmouth, and a genuine liability to the South Side mob. Either theory is considered equally plausible by crime researchers.

The majority of published researchers of the Chicago gangland era and those who have studied Moran's life have come to the conclusion that Moran's biggest liability as a gang boss was Moran himself - he was simply not very smart in the ways of long-term survival as a mob leader. While Capone was a master at planning out moves and feints several steps in advance, Moran's approach was more that of an ordinary street brawler: cause-and-effect reactionism. Having been gradually squeezed out of Chicago after the end of Prohibition, he reverted to his earlier life and resumed committing common crimes like mail fraud and robbery. Just seventeen years after being one of the wealthiest gangsters in Chicago, Bugs Moran began spending almost all of the remainder of his life in prison, essentially penniless. In July 1946, Moran was arrested in Ohio for robbing a bank messenger of $10,000, a paltry sum compared to his lifestyle during the Prohibition days. He was convicted and sentenced to ten years in the Ohio Penitentiary . Shortly after his release, Moran was again arrested for an earlier bank raid. Moran received another ten years and was sent to the Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary . Only a matter of days after arriving there, most of which were spent in the prison hospital, Bugs Moran died of lung cancer on February 25 , 1957 . He was estimated to be worth about $100 at his death, and he received a pauper's burial in the prison cemetery.

During the depression years, George "Bugs" Moran became notorious as a criminal of dire reputation. He eluded capture and finally was put on the FBI most-wanted list. At this time Richard and Mary Lynn Stites were living at 514 Center Street Henderson Kentucky, having bought the home in 1937. Mr. and Mrs. Stites were admired and loved by all who knew them, were models of rectitude, and yet it was they who for several months gave shelter to the heinous Bugs Moran and his paramour, renting to Moran the third floor apartment of their dwelling. It happened purely by chance.

Bugs Moran, looking for a quite place to "lay low" for awhile came to Mr. Stites, introduced himself as George Moran and asked to rent the rooms Mr. Stites had advertised. Mr. Stites agreed, since Moran seemed to be a quite and agreeable person, as well was the well spoken lady with him, presmably Mrs. Moran. Moran said he would return in a few days and move in, but before he came back FBI agents came to Mr. Stites, told him who Moran was, and asked Mr. Stites to go ahead with the rental plan since the G-men wanted to keep Moran under close yet secret observation. Mr. Stites, who worked as a dispatcher and desk officer for the city police, a post he held until the mid 80's, said he would cooperate with the FBI. However nervouse the Stiteses may have been at first, they reported later that Bugs and his "moll" were ideal renters, far more courteous and quite that the average law-abaiding citizen.

After several months of observation, the FBI decided to take Bugs and his companion into custody. One dark night, Mr. Stites let the G-Men into the house through his own enterance. The agents crept upstairs to the third floor and crashed into the Morans apartment. Fearing that Bugs had pistols under the pillows, the agents reached under the covers at the foot of the bed, grabbed the outlaw couple by their ankles and dragged them off the foot of the bed and onto the floor. There was no further violence and the Morans were led away. Thus did Henderson Kentucky lose her only world famouse citizen of the depression era.

George Moran

Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.

George Moran, byname Bugs Moran, (born 1893, Minnesota, U.S.—died February 25, 1957, U.S. Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas), Chicago gangster and bootlegger of the Prohibition era.

He was a childhood friend and, later, right-hand man of Dion O’Bannion. Moran and Earl (“Hymie”) Weiss inherited O’Bannion’s gang in Chicago when the chief was killed in 1924. Moran became sole leader after Weiss was killed in late 1926. For the next three years Moran’s gang and Al Capone’s were locked in bloody warfare, climaxed in 1929 by the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, in which several members of Moran’s mob were slaughtered in a garage. (Moran narrowly avoided being killed. As he neared the building, he saw a police car arrive unbeknownst to him, the men inside were actually associates of Capone. Thinking it was a raid, Moran immediately left.) His power reduced, he drifted into petty crimes, ending his days in prison for bank robberies (Ohio Penitentiary, 1946–56 Leavenworth federal penitentiary, 1957). He died of lung cancer.

This article was most recently revised and updated by Amy Tikkanen, Corrections Manager.

July 6: Anne Frank, George 'Bugs' Moran and Oil Rig Explosion

On this day in history, Anne Frank and her family went into hiding from the Nazis, George "Bugs" Moran got arrested and an oil rig explosion killed 167 workers.

Frank Family Takes Refuge

In Nazi-occupied Holland, 13-year-old Jewish diarist Anne Frank and her family were forced to hide away in a sealed-off area of an Amsterdam warehouse in secret.

Anne Frank and her family fled to Amsterdam in 1933 to escape Nazi persecution. In the summer of 1942, when the Germany’s occupation of Holland began, 12-year-old Anne began a diary. This diary would be a glimpse into the everyday fears, Anne, her family, and friends had to deal with.

On July 6, in fear of deportation, the Franks took refuge in a factory run by Christian friends. During the next two years, the families hid from the threat of murder by Nazi officers just outside the warehouse.

On August 4, 1944, just two months from when the Allied landed in Normandy, the Nazi Gestapo discovered the families secret space in the warehouse.

They were sent to Auschwitz, a concentration camp in German-occupied Poland. Anne's diary was left behind and undiscovered by the Nazis.

An instant best seller, and eventually translated into more than 30 languages, The Diary of Anne Frank has served as a literary testament to the six million Jews, including Anne herself, who were silenced in the Holocaust.

George “Bugs” Moran is Arrested

On this day in 1946, FBI agents arrested George “Bugs” Moran, along with fellow crooks Virgil Summers and Albert Fouts, in Kentucky. Bug Moran was once one of the biggest organized crime figures in America.

Bugs Moran’s criminal career took a downward turn after the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre in 1929, in which his rival, Al Capone’s henchmen, slaughtered his top gunmen.

He then turned to smaller bank robberies. He was arrested for one, and ended up in Leavenworth federal prison. He was released in 1956, but was arrested again shortly for an earlier robbery. He died in prison of lung cancer in 1957.

Explosion of North Sea Oil Rig

On this day in 1988, an explosion ripped through an oil rig in the North Sea, killing 167 workers.

“It was the worst offshore oil-rig disaster in history,” said

The Piper Alpha rig, which was the largest in the North Sea, was owned by Occidental Oil, and had approximately 225 workers on board at the time of the explosion. It was located 120 miles off the northeast shore of Scotland.

On the evening of July 6, a gas leak led to a massive explosion on the rig. The fireball was 350 feet high and it erupted from the platform.

Few people were able to escape, but the ones who did were rescued by helicopters and boats.

The reason for the explosion was never revealed. Two workers were said to show negligence toward safety, but no fingers were ever pointed at anyone.


Originally titled The Velvet Touch, this episode is most definitely not the “Bugs” Moran story, but rather a small slice of his large, dirty pie. Renamed to entice viewers (and perhaps to differentiate it from a 1948 film of the same name), it ruined any opportunity to do it right later, especially considering that Moran was the fellow who, by freak luck, missed the opportunity to join his top men up against the wall in a garage at 2122 North Clark Street on February 14th, 1929. It would thereafter be called the Saint Valentines Day Massacre, the single most infamous day in Chicago gangland history.

Disappointingly, none of that is addressed here. It isn’t even mentioned. Nor does Winchell explain the root cause of the nickname Bugs. Even so, there is potential for this installment that simply fails to materialize, rendering this hour a virtual waste of air time, not to mention the talent of guest star Lloyd Nolan, who conveys a sense of elegance that flies in the face of his earned nickname.

Part of the problem is that Ness is largely invisible for much of the program, the lead taken up by an unusually aggressive Martin Flaherty. Ness’ absence is explained away by an apparent need to debrief Washington on the Capone case who nevertheless is emphatic that his men nail Moran during his trip.

Addressing the seeds of organized crime in the Teamsters Union (though not using that name), the story wanders about ponderously and confines the action to a moment of overkill near the conclusion in which one of Moran’s less thoughtful men fires into a contingent of peace officers armed to the fedoras and spoiling for a fight. Silly boy. Strange script.

Bugs Moran will return to the series from time-to-time, though not often enough given his position in the Chicago underworld both real and imagined. More often than not, Moran is portrayed by a far more bugs-like Robert J. Wilke, and much later by Harry Morgan.

“But as long as there are honest labor leaders, like Larry Halloran, the gangster element in American Labor will always be defeated.”

The History of the FBI, Part 3: Hoover, Prohibition, and Organized Crime

Attorney General A. Mitchell Palmer and J. Edgar Hoover, a young justice department lawyer, responded to the anarchist attacks and the Red Scare with the Palmer Raids starting January 2, 1920. Over the next six weeks, raids were conducted by the Department of Justice and the Bureau of Investigation. Their aim was to capture, arrest, and deport suspected radical leftists, especially anarchists, from the United States. These raids were heavily criticized by the public for infringing on t civil liberties. More than 500 foreign citizens were deported.

On October 28, 1919, the National Prohibition Act was passed, and began taking effect January 17, 1920. This caused an explosion of organized crime. By the mid 1920&rsquos in Chicago alone, there were over 1,300 bootlegging gangs armed with automatic &ldquoTommy&rdquo guns. Rival gangs led by Al &ldquoScarface&rdquo Capone and George &ldquoBugs&rdquo Moran turned the streets of Chicago into a war-zone.

The local police forces were under funded, untrained, and totally unprepared to deal with the crime wave. In the meantime, Bureau of Investigation was embroiled in controversy when it was revealed that the Justice Department had used Bureau agents to spy on members of Congress who opposed its policies.

By 1924, the Attorney General at the time, Harlan Fiske Stone, named J. Edgar Hoover Director of the Bureau of Investigation. Hoover worked quickly to reform the Bureau by removing unqualified, politically appointed agents, creating a strict code of conduct and instituted regular inspections of Headquarters and field operations. He also made requisite background checks, interviews, and fitness tests for all special agent applications. In January, 1928, the first formal training, a two-month course of instruction and practice exercises, was held.

One of Hoover&rsquos first major projects was consolidating the nation&rsquos two major collections of fingerprint files. In the 1924, Hoover created an Identification Division tasked with gathering finger prints from police agencies nationwide and matching prints to criminals and crime evidence. By 1936, the agency had a total reservoir of 100,000 fingerprint cards by 1946, that number had grown to 100 million.

In 1930, the Bureau took the lead on developing a system to classify and report crimes and began to collect crime statistics on the national level. By 1932, the Bureau introduced its first technical laboratory to provide scientific examinations and analysis.

The Bureau of Investigation was finally ready to take on the plague of organized crime.

A young J. Edgar Hoover. FBI The first graduates of the Bureau&rsquos training program for national police executives, the forerunner of today&rsquos National Academy, in 1935. FBI J. Edgar Hoover, Director of the FBI, and agent Melvin Horace Purvis in weapons training. Pinterest 1935 training class of SA John W. Core. See photo sections for more. Faded Glory Sacked house during the Palmer Raids. Privacy SOS Suspects in the Palmer Raids board the Ellis Island steamer at the Barge Office, Battery, NY, for their short trip to Ellis Island for investigation and deportation proceedings. Getty Images A group of Industrial Workers of the World members freed after 18 months detention at Ellis Island. Not all were so lucky. Thousands were arrested, and over 800 were deported for belonging to parties advocating overthrow of the Government. recordsofrights Before the Bureau of Investigation, it was up to individual police stations to organize and prioritize information on wanted criminals. Here is the New York Police Department&rsquos Rogues&rsquo Gallery from 1909. Pinterest Employees of the &ldquoIdentification Division in 1929. The Bureau began managing the nation&rsquos fingerprint collections five years earlier. Pinterest Women working in file room of FBI. photogrvphy


GEORGE &ldquoBUGS&rdquo MORAN The Chicago mobster who waged a city-wide war with fellow mafioso Al Capone signed this petition. Extremely rare! Typed Document Signed: "George Moran", 1p, 8x3¾. No place, but probably Chicago, 1938 November 28. Co-signed: "Lillian E. Cohen" as Notary Public. In Full: "GEORGE MORAN being first duly sworn, states that he has read the above and foregoing petition, signed by him, and that the same is true except for those matters stated by him to be upon information and belief, and that as to those matters this affiant states that he believes them to be true." George "Bugs" Moran (1893-1957) had committed more than 20 known burglaries and was imprisoned three times before he was 21. He became the head of Dion O'Banion's North Side gang in Chicago in 1926. For three years, Moran's gang and Al Capone's gang were bloody adversaries. Their rivalry climaxed on February 14, 1929 in a Chicago garage when seven members of Moran's gang were machine gunned to death on orders from Capone in what became known as the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. In 1936, just two years before signing this legal document, Moran and his men entered a Chicago bowling alley and killed "Machine Gun" Jack McGurn, the man who organized and executed the Valentine's Day carnage. Moran eventually moved to Ohio, where he was arrested in 1946 for robbing a bank messenger of $10,000. He was convicted and sentenced to ten years. After his release in 1956, Moran was again arrested for an earlier bank raid and sent to the U.S. Penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kansas, where he died of lung cancer in 1957. Embossed notary seal touches the "L" in Lillian. Fine condition. Framed in Gallery of History style: 29x19.

Following offer submission users will be contacted at their account email address within 48 hours. Our response will be to accept your offer, decline your offer or send you a final counteroffer. All offers can be viewed from within the "Document Offers" area of your HistoryForSale account. Please review the Make Offer Terms prior to making an offer.

If you have not received an offer acceptance or counter-offer email within 24-hours please check your spam/junk email folder.

Bugs Moran Plans Revenge

This is where Bugs Moran takes center stage, as he planned to have revenge on the murder of his North Side Gang leader.

The bitterness between Bugs and Capone was obvious to anyone, he would call Capone a low-life and despised his involvement in the prostitution rackets. The hatred was so intense that it would cost them their friends, and Capone his freedom.

Bugs attempted to kill Capone on two separate occasions, which would lead Capone to getting himself an armoured plated car that would later be used by the President himself.

It’s with no doubt that Bugs Moran would go all out to get back at Capone, and wouldn’t stop until he was dead. The first attempt was a drive-by shooting which left Capone unhurt but very much startled, the second attempt Bugs Moran decided that he would try and take out his bodyguards, so he targeted his main bodyguard who he then proceeded to torture before executing him on the spot. The third attempt was another drive-by shooting which was lead by Bugs Moran, while Capone and another of his bodyguards were drinking in the lobby of a hotel. Bugs Moran and his crew fired a fleet of bullets into the windows, and again Capone escaped unharmed.

It was enough to actually make Capone call a truce, but it didn’t last long.

Former Mob boss George "Bugs" Moran is arrested in Ohio - 1946

O n July 6, 1946, FBI agents arrest George "Bugs" Moran in Ohio for robbing a bank messenger. Moran was at one point, one of the biggest organized crime figures in America, by the time of his arrest he had been reduced to small bank robberies.

Bugs Moran's criminal career took a downward spiral after the infamous St. Valentine’s Day Massacre in 1929. On that day his top gunmen were slaughtered by rival Al Capone’s henchmen. A lasting feud had been established after Capone's men killed Moran's friend and mentor, Dean O'Banion, in 1924. Moran, who just missed the massacre by a couple of minutes, was visibly shaken when reporters talked to him days later. He shouted at them, "Only Capone kills like that!" Al "Scarface" Capone established his alibi by vacationing in Florida at the time of the murders. Sitting poolside, he mocked Moran, chuckling as he told reporters, "The only man who kills like that is Bugs Moran." Later, while Capone was serving time for tax evasion, Moran may have earned a measure of revenge by killing “Machine Gun” Jack McGurn, one of the men who allegedly carried out the massacre. Moran was convicted of the robbery and sentenced to 10 years in prison. In 1956, shortly after his released from the Ohio State Penitentiary, Moran was re-arrested for an earlier bank robbery. For this crime he received another 10 year sentenced and was sent to Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary, where he died from lung cancer on February 2, 1957.

Michael Thomas Barry is the author of Murder & Mayhem 52 Crimes that Shocked Early California 1849-1949. The book can be purchased from Amazon through the following link:


Early history Edit

Like many other Chicago-based Prohibition gangs, the North Side Gang originated from the Market Street Gang, one of many street gangs in Chicago at the turn of the 20th century. The Market Street Gang was made up of pickpockets, sneak thieves and labor sluggers working in the 42nd and 43rd Wards. The gang especially distinguished itself during the newspaper "Circulation Wars" of the early 1910s between the Chicago Examiner and the Chicago Tribune.

It was during the Circulation Wars that future North Side leader Dean O'Banion, then a member of the juvenile satellite Little Hellions, would develop valuable contacts with politicians and journalists. O'Banion and other members of the North Siders would be mentored by safecracker Charlie "The Ox" Reiser. O'Banion was one of the many Market Streeters to become a bootlegger.

Prohibition Edit

With the start of Prohibition, the North Siders quickly took control of the existing breweries and distilleries in the North Side of Chicago. This gave them a near monopoly on the local supply of real beer and high quality whiskey their rivals only had supplies of rotgut liquor and moonshine. Based on the North Clark Street restaurant McGovern's Saloon and Cafe, the North Side Gang would soon control the working-class neighborhoods of the 42nd and 43rd Wards within months. In addition to bootlegging, the gang continued to burglarize local stores and warehouses and run illegal gambling operations. Unlike the rival South Side Gang, however, they refused to traffic in prostitution.

O'Banion strengthened his political protection by helping his politician friends commit election fraud. O'Banion also ran a publicity campaign in the North Side with large-scale donations to orphanages and charities as well as food and loans to the poor and unemployed.

The old hostility between Irish and Italian gangs, combined with O'Banion's refusal to sell portions of North Side distilleries to the South Siders, raised tension between the North and South Siders. During several meetings arranged by Torrio, O'Banion would often insult the Italians. O'Banion was also secretly hijacking South Side beer shipments and selling them back to their owners. However, the North Side Gang also ran into trouble with other ethnic gangs in 1921, O'Banion shot Ragen's Colts member Davy "Yiddles" Miller after he insulted a North Sider at a local opera.

Although O'Banion and Weiss were arrested and charged with burglary in 1922, the North Side Gang enjoyed considerable protection from the Chicago police department. At one point, O'Banion threw a lavish banquet for Chicago politicians and police officials. Attendees included Chief Detective Michael Hughes, Police Lieutenant Charles Evans, County Clerk Robert Sweitzer, Public Works commissioner Colonel Albert A. Sprague, and a host of both Democratic and Republican politicians. Dubbed the "Balshazzar Feast" by the press, it was later investigated by reform Mayor William E. Dever.

In 1924, Chicago police assisted the North Side Gang in robbing the Sibly Distillery, which had been under federal guard since the beginning of Prohibition. Escorted by Police Lieutenant Michael Grady and four detective sergeants, North Siders looted the distillery in broad daylight, taking 1,750 barrels of bonded whiskey worth approximately $100,000. Although Grady and the other police officers were later indicted for this crime, they were quickly dismissed.

Relations between the North and South Side gangs continued to fester. In early 1924, O'Banion agreed to an alliance with Torrio and Capone that was brokered by Mike Merlo. However, the alliance began to founder when O'Banion demanded that "Bloody" Angelo Genna pay a $30,000 gambling debt from losses at the co-owned gambling casino The Ship. This demand contravened an agreement allowing Angelo and other gang members to run up debts there. In the interest of maintaining harmony, Torrio persuaded Genna to pay his gambling debt.

However, Torrio himself would lose patience when O'Banion offered to sell him the valuable Sieben Brewery. On May 19, 1924, while Torrio was inspecting the property, O'Banion arranged for the police to raid the place and arrest Torrio. After his release from custody, Torrio acceded to demands from the Gennas to kill O'Banion.

On November 10, shortly after the death of Merlo, three unidentified men entered the Schofield Flower Shop owned by O'Banion and shot him dead. This was to be the beginning of a five-year gang war between the North Side Gang against Johnny Torrio's Chicago Outfit that would climax with the St. Valentine's Day Massacre in 1929.

War with the Chicago Outfit Edit

After the death of Dean O'Banion, Hymie Weiss assumed leadership of the North Side Gang and immediately struck back at his rivals. On January 12, 1925, Weiss, Bugs Moran, and Vincent Drucci attempted to kill Torrio's lieutenant, Al Capone at a Chicago South Side restaurant. Firing at Capone's car, the men wounded chauffeur Sylvester Barton, but missed Capone entirely. Capone, unnerved by the shooting, ordered his famous armoured car to be created. Moran then decided to kidnap one of Capone's trusted bodyguards, torturing him for information before finally executing him and dumping the body.

On January 24, shortly after the assassination attempt on Capone had taken place, Weiss, Moran, and Drucci ambushed Torrio as he returned from shopping with his wife. Both Torrio and his chauffeur Robert Barton were wounded several times. As Moran was about to kill Torrio, the gun misfired the gang members were forced to flee the scene as the police arrived. After narrowly surviving this attack, Torrio decided he wanted out. After serving time on bootlegging charges Torrio retired to Italy, passing leadership of the Chicago Outfit to Capone.

Weiss and the North Siders then went after the Genna Family, allies of the Chicago Outfit. First, "Bloody" Angelo Genna was shot to death by Moran after a car chase. Next, Mike "The Devil" Genna was shot down by police when he turned his gun on them after a fierce shootout with the Northsiders. Then Drucci killed Samuzzo "Samoots" Amatuna, a Genna family backer trying to hold the Gennas intact. Finally Anthony Genna was murdered (although it was rumored that Capone, not Weiss, ordered this). At this point, the remaining Genna family fled Chicago. The North Siders and Capone took the spoils.

The Northsiders under Weiss, Drucci and Moran Edit

Soon after Dean O'Banion's death, the North Siders had formed a "governing council" with Hymie Weiss emerging as leader. Although the loss of O'Banion was a shock to them, the gang was at the height of its power. The Genna family was gone, Torrio had been scared out of the rackets, and Capone was on the defensive. The North Siders expanded their business and strength and plotted another attack on Capone.

In the second North Side attack on Capone, a fleet of North Side cars, with Moran in the lead car, drove to Capone's hotel in Cicero. While Capone and his bodyguard were drinking downstairs, the North Siders drove by the lobby and opened fire with their Thompson submachine guns. Capone and his bodyguard were forced to take cover on the floor. Once the attack was over, Capone sent word to the North Siders that he wanted a truce. A truce was made, which inevitably began to come apart.

Some time later, Capone struck back at the North Siders by gunning down Hymie Weiss and several associates. Drucci and Moran now assumed joint leadership of the North Side Gang. The two gangs traded killings and bombings for several more months until a peace conference was held.

Moran and Capone both appeared at the meeting along with many other mob bosses. During the conference, Capone complained that "they were making a shooting gallery of a great business". He also stated that "Chicago should be seen as a pie and each gang gets a slice of the pie." The two gangs agreed to make peace. This peace would last for a while, during which no killings occurred as a result of gang war. Vincent Drucci was killed during this time, but it resulted from a brawl with police. Moran now became the sole boss of the North Side Gang.

However, conflict eventually started again. Moran would regularly hijack Capone's beer shipments, aggravating Capone. Capone retaliated by burning down Moran's dog track. A few days later, Capone's own dog track went up in smoke. Moran was the prime suspect.

Open warfare started again between the two gangs. Moran ordered the execution of two union leaders who were powerful allies and personal friends of Capone. This act prompted Capone to order the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

St. Valentine's Day Massacre Edit

On February 14, 1929, four unidentified men, two of them dressed as Chicago police officers, entered a North Side Street garage and ordered six members of the North Side Gang and a friend of a gang member to stand against a wall. The gunmen then pulled out machine guns and gunned them all down. The only survivor, Frank "Tight Lips" Gusenberg, died hours later at a nearby Chicago hospital refusing to name his attackers. However, the primary target of the gunmen, Bugs Moran, leader of the North Side Gang, was not at the garage and escaped harm. Strong circumstantial cases can be made for almost a dozen individuals as being one of the gunmen, but it remains unknown to this day exactly who those four gunmen were.

Known as the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, the attack effectively left the five-year gang war between Al Capone and Bugs Moran in a stalemate. The brazenness of this crime resulted in a Federal crackdown on all gang activity in Chicago that eventually led to the downfall of both Moran and Capone.

Aftermath Edit

Although Bugs Moran survived the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, several experienced North Side gunmen had been lost. The North Side Gang continued to control the 42nd and 43rd Wards and managed to thwart a takeover attempt by Frank McErlane in 1930. As the decade progressed, the power of the North Side Gang slowly declined. In 1936, Jack "Machine Gun" McGurn, mastermind of the massacre, was killed and Moran was one of the prime suspects, along with Frank Nitti of the South Side mob, as McGurn had become more trouble than he was worth to protect to the former "Capone Gang".

Moran and the North Side Gang eventually lost control of their gambling operations to the new National Crime Syndicate. Since the repeal of Prohibition, gambling had been the main source of North Side income. Bugs Moran eventually left the gang by 1935, after which it quickly dissolved.

Watch the video: Ghost Haunted Alphonse Capone after St Valentines Day Real Ghost Story


  1. Nalmaran

    I'm sorry, but I think you are wrong. I propose to discuss it. Email me at PM.

  2. Plat

    happens ... Such accidental coincidence

  3. Willis

    You've got a great thought

  4. Kajitaxe

    show someone else who is boring!

  5. Bagdemagus

    It will go!

  6. Busiris

    There are a few more disadvantages

  7. Linton

    You are not right. I'm sure. I invite you to discuss. Write in PM, we will talk.

Write a message