We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Tennessee State University, based at Nashville, Tennessee, is a co-educational land grant university. Established as a normal school for African-Americans, it has grown into a national university enrolling students from 42 states and 52 countries.The university was formed by merging Tennessee State University and the University of Tennessee at Nashville. Tennessee State University has been listed for 11 consecutive years in U.S. News & World Report's “Guide to America’s Best Colleges.”Tennessee State University made a humble beginning as the Agricultural and Industrial State Normal School in June 1912. The school was converted to a four-year teacher's college, in 1922. The first bachelor's degree was granted in June, 1924.The institute was named the Agricultural and Industrial State Normal College the same year. Graduate degrees were first offered in 1941, following which the master’s degrees were offered in 1944.The first accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools was obtained in 1946, with the college attainin university status in August 1951. It was then called Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial State University.In August 1958, it was made a full-fledged land-grant university, and then the university took its present name of Tennessee State University, in 1968.In July 1979, the university merged with the former University of Tennessee at Nashville, to form the present-day Tennessee State University.Tennessee State University currently offers 45 bachelor’s degrees, 24 master's degrees, and doctoral programs in biological sciences, psychology, public administration, computer information systems engineering, administration and supervision, and curriculum and instruction.The main campus of 450 acres encompasses more than 65 buildings. The library, located at the center, contains two computer labs, one smart classroom, an art corner, and various rooms showcasing the collections of well-known Nashville and Tennessee citizens. It houses an impressive array of books, journals, microforms, and periodicals.There are also the electronic versions of many books and full-text online databases. Similar state-of-the art library is located at the Avon Williams campus.
Tennessee State University
Tennessee State University is located in Nashville, Tennessee. There is an additional branch campus (the Avon Williams Campus) located in downtown Nashville the main campus is in a residential area. Tennessee State University was founded in 1912 as an African-American normal school, became a 4-year school in 1922, and received university status in 1958. The final step in establishing its reputation was to receive “university status” approval from the State Board of Education. The institution as it is known today was the result of a 1979 merger between Tennessee State University and the University of Tennessee at Nashville. The University now awards bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. It is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Tennessee State University defines its mission in part as one of “provid[ing] quality academic programs which are broadly comprehensive at the baccalaureate and masters levels.” It defines itself as an urban university, and still has a predominantly black student body.
Tennessee State University (1912- )
Tennessee State University (TSU) is a historically black, comprehensive, four-year co-educational university located on a 500 acre campus in Nashville, Tennessee. With over 10,000 students, including nearly 1,900 graduate students, it is one of the largest historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the nation. It is the only state funded HBCU in Tennessee.
TSU’s history began when the Tennessee State General Assembly passed an act creating the Agricultural and Industrial State Normal School in 1909. The school began serving a student body of 247 in June of 1912. In 1922 the school was raised to the status of a four-year teachers college and empowered to grant bachelor’s degrees. The first bachelor’s degrees were awarded in 1924, the same year that the school changed its name to the Agricultural and Industrial State Normal College. Three years later the word “Normal” was dropped from the name.
In 1941 the Tennessee General Assembly directed the Board of Education to upgrade the educational program of the college. This included the introduction of the school’s first graduate program, in education. The first master’s degrees were awarded in 1944. Accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools was received in 1946, and in 1951 the state Board of Education granted the school university status. In August 1958 Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial State University was elevated to full land grant university status. In 1979 the school merged with the University of Tennessee at Nashville, a formerly white institution.
Today, Tennessee State University consists of five colleges (Arts & Sciences, Business, Education, Engineering, Technology, and Computer Sciences, and Health Sciences), three schools (Agriculture & Consumer Science, Nursing, and Graduate Studies & Research), and the Institute of Government. TSU’s Health Sciences program is the largest in the state and one of the largest in the nation.
Fall Semester 2008 enrollment at TSU was 8,254, which included 1,823 graduate students. The student body was 74% black, 22% white, and 4% other. Those students came from 43 states and 40 foreign countries. About 75% of the students, however, were Tennessee residents. During that same term TSU had 450 full-time instructional faculty members, and 155 adjunct faculty members. The average class size was 19, and the six year graduation rate was about 45%. TSU’s university sponsored research budget exceeded $32 million in 2006, making it one of a handful of HBCUs engaged in funded research. Its most prominent alumni include Oprah Winfrey, former Tennessee congressman Harold Ford, Sr., athlete Wilma Rudolph, journalist Carl Rowan, and former National Football League star, Ed “Too Tall” Jones of the Dallas Cowboys.
Little Known Black History Fact: Tennessee State University
Tennessee State University is celebrating its 103 rd year in existence this month, and is recognized as one of the top HBCUs in the South. TSU is the only state-funded HBCU in Tennessee and some of it’s alumni have achieved fame across a variety of fields.
Nestled in Nashville, the school began as the Agricultural and Industrial State Normal School for Negroes in 1912. The doors of the school opened to students on Juneteenth of that year. In 1922, the school was changed to a four-year teacher’s college. From there, a number of name changes and focuses of the school would follow over the years.
It was called the Agricultural and Industrial State Normal College in 1924, and three years later “Normal” was removed from the name. In 1951, the school achieved university status and was renamed the Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial University, becoming one of several “land-grant” colleges in the nation. In 1968, elected officials in the state moved to take out “Agricultural and Industrial” as part of the unversity’s official name.
TSU has seen many of its men’s basketball and football players go on to star in the professional leagues. The late point-forward Anthony Mason, retired player and current Sacramento Kings assistant coach Truck Robinson, and retired big man, Carlos Rogers all played in the NBA. TSU also represented well in the the NFL with Hall of Famer Richard Dent, Ed “Too Tall” Jones, Charlie Wade and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie among other attendees who went pro.
Olympic track legend Wilma Rudolph and Olympic gold medalist, sprinter Edith McGuire, added to TSU’s celebrated track and field program legacy.
Perhaps the most famous former student is media mogul Oprah Winfrey, who won a full scholarship to the school, launching her broadcasting career in Nashville while still in college.
Today, TSU has become known for its strong business and engineering programs.
Tennessee State University
Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.
Tennessee State University, public, coeducational institution of higher learning in Nashville, Tennessee, U.S., part of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee. A historically black university, it still has a largely African American enrollment. Tennessee State is a land-grant school and consists of colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, and Engineering and Technology and schools of Agriculture and Home Economics, Nursing, and Graduate Studies and Research the School of Allied Health Professions is administered jointly with Meharry Medical College, also in Nashville. The university offers a range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. There are also doctoral programs in education, psychology, biological science, and public administration. Total enrollment is approximately 9,000.
The university was created by a 1909 act of the state legislature and opened in 1912 as the Agricultural and Industrial State Normal School. It became a four-year teachers’ college in 1922 and awarded its first bachelor’s degree in 1924 university standing was granted in 1951. The university absorbed the University of Tennessee at Nashville in 1979. Notable graduates include Olympic athletes Ralph Boston, Wilma Rudolph, and Wyomia Tyus and talk-show host Oprah Winfrey.
This article was most recently revised and updated by Amy Tikkanen, Corrections Manager.
Welcome to your Wikipedia assignment's course timeline. This page guides you through the steps you'll need to complete for your Wikipedia assignment, with links to training modules and your classmates' work spaces.
Your course has been assigned a Wikipedia Expert. You can reach them through the Get Help button at the top of this page.
Create an account and join this course page, using the enrollment link your instructor sent you. (Because of Wikipedia's technical restraints, you may receive a message that you cannot create an account. To resolve this, please try again off campus or the next day.)
Former TSU trustee Bill Freeman donates $300,000 to support the university’s football program
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (TSU News Service) – Former Tennessee State University Trustee Bill Freeman has donated $300,000 toward the university’s football program. The donation comes on the heels of former all pro Tennessee Titan Eddie George recently being named TSU’s new head football coach.
Freeman, chairman of Freeman Webb Company, said he is excited about everything TSU is doing under President Glenda Glover to elevate the football program at the university. A member of the initial reconstituted TSU Board of Trustees, Freeman served two terms before stepping down about a year ago. In 2015 and 2016, Freeman and his family donated a total of $275,000 to various programs at TSU.
“I am excited about everything Dr. Glover is doing at Tennessee State University,” Freeman said. “I am equally excited about Eddie George. This is a great time for the university going forward. I am happy to assist with the continued growth and development of the university. Babs and my decades long commitment to TSU is evident. ”
Dr. Mikki Allen, TSU’s director of athletics, said the university is “extremely grateful to Mr. Freeman for his generosity” to the school, especially the football program.
“This type of leadership gift shows Mr. Freeman’s commitment for making an impact in the lives of our student-athletes,” Allen said. “This transformational gift will continue the momentum that we have in our football program and move us forward in our pursuit of winning the Ohio Valley Conference and FCS national championships.”
George, who was appointed head football coach on April 13, said Freeman’s gift will “help transform our football student-athlete spaces and enhance the value of the players’ experience in the football program.”
“Our players and staff are thankful for Mr. Freeman’s financial commitment to Tiger Football, and we are looking forward to finishing these spaces for our student-athletes,” George added.
Jamie Isabel, TSU’s associate vice president of Institutional Advancement, Corporate Relations and Foundation, and a friend of Freeman, received the gift from the Nashville businessman.
“I am excited to have received this large donation from Freeman Webb and its chairman, my friend, Bill Freeman,” Isabel said. “Bill, his company, and his family are the first to make such a large donation to the new era of TSU football. As a former TSU board member, Bill’s interest is very much noted in his gift.”
To donate to the TSU Foundation, visit https://www.tnstate.edu/foundation/
Department of Media Relations
Tennessee State University
3500 John Merritt Boulevard
Nashville, Tennessee 37209
About Tennessee State University
Founded in 1912, Tennessee State University is Nashville’s only public university, and is a premier, historically black university and land-grant institution offering 39 bachelor’s degree programs, 24 master’s degree programs, and eight doctoral degrees. TSU is a comprehensive research intensive institution with a R-2 Carnegie designation, and has a graduate school on its downtown Avon Williams Campus, along with the Otis Floyd Nursery Research Center in McMinnville, Tennessee. With a commitment to excellence, Tennessee State University provides students with a quality education in a nurturing and innovative environment that prepares them as alumni to be global leaders in every facet of society. Visit the University online at tnstate.edu.
No young woman student in the normal school will be permitted to dine at a public hotel with an escort and without a chaperon and no young woman student will be permitted to attend any public dance. Sidney G. Gilbreath
State Normal School Faculty Association formed
The three state normal schools establish the Inter-Normal Debating Team
President Gilbreath raises money for student loan fund
Alumni Association organized
Model School building constructed
First constitution of the United Student Body first president of United Student Body Theodore R. Eutsler elected
First May Day festival held
New course added in piano, violin and voice
New departments added in methods expression, physical education, bookkeeping and penmanship
Mrs. Sidney G. Gilbreath organizes the Womens Faculty Club
Student Army Training Corps on campus during fall quarter
New departments added in biology, chemistry, geography, and physics
Womens basketball team completes 1917-18 basketball season undefeated, 6-0 record
First yearbook, Old Hickory, published
Third year of courses added to curriculum
The committee on commencement costumes reports in favor of caps and gowns for graduation
First football team fielded, the Normalites have 3-3 season
The first party for the entire student body held
The first gymnasium completed
Taylor Hall (men's residence) constructed
First school newspaper, Chalkline, published
The structure now housing the B. Carroll Reece Museum constructed to house the library
Normal School baseball team has undefeated season
Name changed to East Tennessee State Teachers College
Dr. Charles C. Sherrod inaugurated as second president of East Tennessee State
Fourth year of courses added to curriculum
First student handbook published
East Tennessee State becomes an accredited member of the American Association of Teachers Colleges
First graduating class to receive four-year degrees from East Tennessee State
Mathematics and Physical Science Departments added
East Tennessee State becomes an accredited member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
Training School, now University School (Alexander Hall), constructed
First women awarded athletic letters: Florence Boum, Dorothy Whitlock
First radio for dormitories
State Board of Education turns over to East Tennessee State the new training school building
Biological sciences and directed teaching departments added
Educational tests given to all students for the first time
Name change to State Teachers College, Johnson City
TC sweaters given to all football players
Sherrod Library constructed at the time it was called the fireproof library dedicated Aug. 27
First full-time athletic coach, Gene McMurray, hired
Social studies department added
Athletic relations with Milligan College reestablished after 1922 dispute
WPA builds a football field on the site of the present-day science building
First volume of the Alumni Quarterly published
East Tennessee State athletic teams first referred to as the Buccaneers
The 25th anniversary of the founding of the college celebrated
The Amphitheatre completed
The Tennessee state legislature debates closing the college as an unnecessary luxury
First Buccaneer yearbook published
Flagpole in triangle between administration building (Gilbreath Hall) and library building dedicated
Freshman Rules (later called "Rat Week") begin during fall quarter
Bucs are football champs of Smoky Mountain Conference
Library receives $6,000 for acquisition of books from the Carnegie Foundation
Civilian Pilot Training Program begins on campus
Nearly 70 graduate in largest-ever graduating class
College grill opens in cafeteria building
Second generation of students welcomed to Teachers College on schools 30th anniversary
Winter quarter registration numbers drop over 10 percent resulting from high numbers of enlistments in the armed services
Business administration department added
Brown Hall (science building) constructed
2205 Army Air Forces Air-Base Unit arrives on campus and stays until June 30, 1944
Name changed to East Tennessee State College
Program for the preparation of nurses and assistant health workers added with the cooperation of officials of the Appalachian Hospital in Johnson City
Sam Wilson Hall (business) constructed
85 World War II veterans enter ETSC as postwar enrollment climbs to 461
Servicemen returning from World War II enter college on GI BILL® of Rights for first time 225 enter ETSC during spring quarter
Bucs basketball team wins Smoky Mountain Tournament
Enrollment reaches record as servicemen attend college on the GI BILL®
Dean of Women Ella V. Ross named Johnson City's first Woman of the Year
10,000 fans watch Bucs and Milligan College battle to a scoreless tie in football
Power Plant begins operation
Dr. Burgin E. Dossett Sr. inaugurated as the third president of East Tennessee State
Graduate school organized
Browning Hall (men's residence) constructed
Teaching Aids Laboratory (now IMC) organized
ETSC offers first athletic scholarships
East Tennessee State awards its first masters degree
ETSC withdraws from the Smoky Mountain Conference and joins the Volunteer State Athletic Conference (VSAC)
Brooks Gymnasium and Carson Hall constructed
ETSC victorious in Burley Bowl
Military science, religion, speech correction and audiology courses added to the curriculum
Stone Hall (women's residence) constructed
Football team wins Burley Bowl second consecutive year
East Tennessee State adopts rules of compliance to the 1954 U.S. Supreme Court ruling against racial segregation
Kappa Delta and Alpha Delta Pi become national sororities
First college museum opens at ETSC
College organized into schools and departments four schools: Arts and Sciences, Business Administration and Economics, Education and Graduate Studies
Old gymnasium (built in 1928) moved to become part of Mathes Hall (music and military science)
First bookstore opens on campus
Dean of students post created
WETS begins broadcast as closed-circuit radio station
Fall quarter enrollment tops 4,000
ETSC joins the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC)
Yoakley Hall (women's residence) constructed
Lambda Chi Alpha opens first fraternity house in Tennessee at 431 West Maple Street
ROTC forms Honor Guard at ETSC
ETSC cagers win George Mikan Award named most improved NCAA club for 1958-59 season
Lamb Hall (health) and the student union building constructed
East Tennessee State College celebrates its 50th anniversary a telegram of congratulations received by President Dossett from President John F. Kennedy
Ellington Hall (men's residence), Powell Hall (women's residence) and Burleson Hall (English) constructed, and Carson Hall receives an addition
Student book exchange opens
Sidney G. Gilbreath dies on January 6, age 91
Social Work program established
Upper and lower division requirements defined and placed in effect
Record 2,000 freshmen enrolled
ETSC achieves university status, becoming East Tennessee State University
West Hall (women's residence) constructed
Undergraduate program in psychology established
Construction begins on B. Carroll Reece Museum addition
Traffic regulations require registration of vehicles for the first time
University organized into four colleges and one school: Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration and Economics, Health, and Education and the Graduate School
Ross Panhellenic (women's residence) and Frank Clement Hall (men's residence) constructed
Nell Dossett Hall (women's residence), Wilson-Wallis Hall (industrial education) and Ball Hall (art) constructed
University centers open in Bristol and Greeneville
First annual Folk Festival held
Student body president Jerry S. Jones announces that freshmen will be welcomed on campus during School Spirit Week rather than being harassed as in previous years during Rat Week
First master of science degree awarded
McCord and Cooper halls (men's residences), Lucille Clement Hall (women's residence) and Hutcheson Hall (geography and geology) constructed
Sherrod Library addition constructed
President Richard M. Nixon visits campus and makes address
Addition constructed on Lamb Hall (health)
Kingsport University Center constructed
Neil Cusack sets world record in marathon for 19-year-olds
ETSU placed under control of central Board of Regents
The university placed under censure by the American Association of University Professors
Memorial Center (Mini-Dome) groundbreaking
Mack P. Davis Apartments constructed
Brown Hall (science) expanded
WETS-FM begins broadcasting
The Tennessee legislature creates a free standing College of Medicine to be developed utilizing the Teague-Cranston Act
Cross-country All-American Neil Cusack of ETSUs Irish Brigade wins the Boston Marathon with third-fastest time ever
Women athletes join intercollegiate athletic program
Luntsford Hall (apartments) constructed
First Mockingbird student arts magazine published
First meeting of Faculty Senate held
Cooperative Education Program added
Bond Building (physical plant offices) constructed
Shelbridge acquired as the presidential residence
Family practice residency programs in Johnson City and Kingsport accredited
Construction completed on the Clack Building (chilling plant) and the D.P. Culp University Center
Kingsport Family Practice Center opens under auspices of the department of family practice in the Quillen-Dishner College of Medicine
Family practice residency programs in Bristol, Veterans Administration Medical Center and Watauga Area Mental Health Center receive accreditation
Bristol Family Practice Center opens
Dr. Arthur H. DeRosier, Jr., inaugurated as fifth president of East Tennessee State University
ETSU organized into seven colleges and schools Colleges: Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, Health and Medicine. Schools: Graduate Studies, Continuing Education.
Residency program in internal medicine receives accreditation
ETSU joins the Southern Conference after 21 years in the OVC
Student union building renovated to become part of the College of Medicine
Medical school enrolls its first class of 24 students
Schools of Public and Allied Health, Nursing, and Applied Science and Technology established
First student representative serves on alumni board
Sherrod Library designated state document depository
Dr. Ronald E. Beller becomes the sixth president of East Tennessee State University.
Residency program in surgery receives accreditation
Quillen-Dishner College of Medicine officially named by the State Board of Regents
ETSU parrot Pepper comes in a big egg and hatches during the homecoming festivities
ETSU goes on the semester system
First NCAA riflery championships held at ETSU
State Board of Regents approves master of education degree at ETSU
Teresa Bowers selected as first distinguished alumna of the arts
Construction of WETS-FM transmitter tower and building on Holston Mountain begins
Entertainers Chet Atkins, Floyd Cramer, Boots Randolph, and Helen Reddy join Gov. Lamar Alexander at Johnson City's Freedom Hall to raise money for the Floyd Cramer Scholarship Fund in ETSUs Department of Music
Perrier Fitness Trail, 1.3 miles, with 18 fitness stations, completed
Quillen-Dishner College of Medicine receives full accreditation from Liaison Committee on Medical Education
First M.D. degrees awarded by Quillen-Dishner College of Medicine
Medical school facility opens on Veterans Administration grounds
Student Services Center established in the Culp University Center to meet special needs of commuting and nontraditional students
Residency program in pathology receives accreditation
Congressman James H. Quillen dedicates medical school facility at Veterans Administration
Center for Appalachian Studies and Services (CASS) opens
Dr. Jack Higgs, Department of English, named one of the eight top university professors in the United States by the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE)
First dry (non-alcoholic) rush held by fraternities
Senators Albert Gore, Jr. (D.-TN), and Claude Pepper (D-FL) convene a senate subcommittee hearing on Alzheimer disease at the D. P. Culp University Center
ETSU Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology approved by State Board of Regents
CASE president James Fisher addresses the first university-wide convocation
Brown Hall (science) renovated
First issue of Now and Then published by Center for Appalachian Studies and Services
Vice President George Bush visits ETSU to honor Congressman and Mrs. James H. Quillen at a reception to recognize the creation of the Cecile Cox Quillen Chair of Medicine
East Tennessee State University named a Homecoming 86 community by the State of Tennessee
Medical library dedicated at Quillen-Dishner College of Medicine
A proclamation ceremony held to kick off ETSUs 75th birthday celebration (ETSU President Dr. Ronald E. Beller presented a letter of congratulations from President Reagan on Oct. 23 1985 Homecoming proclamation ceremony)
Burleson Hall (English) renovated
Residency program in psychiatry receives accreditation
Environmental health departments baccalaureate and graduate programs reaccredited and declared best in U.S. by National Environmental Health Association
ETSU celebrates its diamond anniversary 75 years of tradition and vision in East Tennessee
Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series begins addresses delivered by Felix C. Lowe, Alex Haley, Wally Schirra and F. Lee Bailey
Ribbon cutting ceremony for the addition of bus shuttle system for campus transport with university and city officials, partners with the Johnson City Transit System
Joan Mondale, wife of former Vice President Walter Mondale, delivers the fifth talk in the Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series in honor of former ETSU President Dr. Arthur H. DeRosier Jr.
Sixth lecture in the Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series featuring John Naisbitt, author of Megatrends, in honor of Dr. Ronald E. Beller, ETSU President since 1980.
Thirty-minute television documentary airs on WCYB: East Tennessee State University: 75 Years of Excellence
Quillen-Dishner College of Medicine receives three-year accreditation, the longest period in the medical schools history
College of Business achieves accreditation of its bachelors and masters programs from the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business
Record year in research and sponsored programs support, with over $5 million received
ETSU rings the Unity Bell as well as the historic hand bell at the Reece Museum for Bells Across America, a 200-minute bell-ringing ceremony celebrating the signing of the Constitution
ETSU's Center for Adult Programs and Services opens
ETSU adopts a new logo featuring a mountain range over the initials ETSU in Andover typeface, the work of 1973 art alumnus Richard D. Maxey
Dedication ceremony for Carl A. Jones Hall at the Quillen-Dishner College of Medicine, named in honor of the President and Publisher of the Johnson City Press
Record enrollment: 11,156, breaking the 11,000 mark for the first time
Masters program in Storytelling begins
Former President Jimmy Carter visits ETSU to participate in the Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series
The inaugural George L. Carter Award is bestowed to Mr. Allen Harris, Jr.
The ETSU medical school is renamed the James H. Quillen College of Medicine
WETS-FM goes to 24-hour programming
Professor Andrei Anikin, Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachevs chief advisor on economic restructuring, is featured speaker in the Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series
President Gerald R. Ford speaks as part of the Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series
College of Nursing opens Johnson City Downtown Clinic
Mountain City Extended Hours Health Center, which is managed by the ETSU College of Nursing, opens
ETSU Bluegrass Band participates in the Soviet Unions International Folk Festival in Moscow
U. S. Senator Albert Gore, Jr., is the keynote speaker for Earth Day
Rev. Jesse Jackson speaks as part of the Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series
ETSU announces $6.1 million grant from the W. K. Kellogg Foundation to initiate the Community Partnerships for Health Professions Education Program
Dr. Bert C. Bach named Interim President
Men's basketball defeats No. 3 seed Arizona in the first round of the NCAA Tournament
Dr. Roy S. Nicks named Interim President and obtains the post on a permanent basis one year later
James H. Quillen College of Medicine dedicates the Palma L. Robinson Clinical Education Center
Hostage negotiator Terry Waite speaks as part of the Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series
ETSU admits first class of students in Honors Program
Harry Smith from CBS News delivers talk in Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series
News conference announcing Alias|Silicon Graphics partnership with ETSU
Ribbon-cutting held for computer lab in Culp Center
University School announces it will go to year-round schedule
Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series hosts Cherokee Chief Wilma Mankiller
ETSU Homepage named 3-Star Internet site by the McKinley Group
ETSU Computer Science program ranked as national leader by Computerworld
Groundbreaking for new library
Dr. Paul E. Stanton, Jr. becomes the eighth president of ETSU
Smoking ban enforced in ETSU buildings
Record year for research and sponsored programs: $14 million
Novelist William Styron speaks as part of the Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series
ETSU Foundation records first $10 million year in private giving
ETSU tops $20 million for research funding
The new Charles C. Sherrod Library opens
The Presidential Distinguished Lecture Series hosts Linda Wertheimer from National Public Radio
Charles C. Sherrod Library recognized nationally as Outstanding Building in the 1999 Architectural Portfolio of American School & University magazine
ETSU receives $26.7 million in research funding
ETSU admits first class of students in the Roan Scholars Leadership Program
ETSU publishes Home and Away: A University Brings Food to the Table, a book of stories and recipes
ETSU dedicates the Scott M. Niswonger Digital Media Center
ETSU Division of Theatre presents Hear That Whistle Blow Erwin Train A Coming at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington D.C.
ETSU classes cancelled due to terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in New York City
ETSU celebrates $90 million fundraising campaign total on 90th birthday
James H. Quillen College of Medicine dedicates Stanton-Gerber Hall, basic sciences building, in honor of ETSU President Dr. Paul E. Stanton, Jr., and Dr. Carl J. Gerber, director of the Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Annual giving pushes Campaign for ETSU Tomorrow total to $105 million
Tennessee Governor Don Sundquist announces $8 million Tennessee Department of Transportation grant for development of visitor center at Gray Fossil Site
ETSU becomes the first institution in the Tennessee Board of Regents and University of Tennessee systems to create its own research foundation
College of Business and College of Applied Science and Technology merge to form College of Business and Technology
ETSU football team plays final game, winning 16-13 over The Citadel
Congressman James H. Quillen leaves ETSU over $14.6 million for two scholarship endowments
Rare red panda found at ETSUs Gray Fossil Site
ETSU unveils Center for Experiential Learning at the College of Medicine
ETSU names College of Education for Claudius G. Clemmer, a former teacher in a one-room school
The ETSU Alumni Gallery, which includes the George L. Carter and the Outstanding Alumni Walls, is dedicated in the D.P. Culp University Center.
Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen issues a challenge that ETSU raise $5 million in 90 days for a proposed College of Pharmacy before going to the Tennessee Board of Regents and Tennessee Higher Education Commission for approval, and an additional $2.5 million before the arrival of the first class
ETSU Honors College is established
The Tennessee Higher Education Commission gives the final authorization for the ETSU College of Pharmacy
ETSU joins Atlantic Sun Conference
Dedication held for the ETSU Foundation Carillon and Alumni Plaza, which was the first gift to the university to celebrate ETSUs upcoming centennial
East Tennessee State University is among nations first to receive accreditation from the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc. (AAHRPP)
Dr. Maya Angelou gives lecture at ETSU
ETSU dedicates Roy S. Nicks Hall in the renovated building that formerly housed the Charles C. Sherrod Library
ETSU begins holding two commencement ceremonies
Inaugural white coat ceremony for the College of Pharmacy is held in D. P. Culp University Center
U.S.News & World Report ranks Quillen College of Medicine third in nation for excellence in rural medicine
ETSU and General Shale Brick Natural History Museum and Visitor Center at the Gray Fossil Site opens to the general public
Governors Hall, new ETSU residence facility, dedicated
The ETSU PRIDE Walk is dedicated.
George L. Carter Railroad Museum opens
College of Public and Allied Health splits to become two colleges: College of Public Health and the College of Clinical and Rehabilitative Health Sciences
ETSU celebrates Program of the Year award from the National Rural Health Association (NRHA), presented to the Community Partnerships for Health Professions Education Program
Nearly complete skeleton of fossil red panda discovered at ETSU Gray Fossil Site is only one in the world and the find of a lifetime
Pharmacy school named in honor of benefactor Bill Gatton
The William L. Jenkins Forensic Center is dedicated
The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) awards Candidate Status to the Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy
ETSU becomes a Tobacco-Free Campus
Mary B. Martin School of the Arts established
ETSU enrollment tops 14,000
ETSUs College of Public Health receives accreditation from the Council on Education for Public Health, becoming the first school in Tennessee, and the only one in South-Central Appalachia, to earn that designation
ETSU announces the nations first doctoral program in sport science and physiology
ETSU announces the worlds first major in Bluegrass, Old-Time and Country Music, offered through the College of Arts and Sciences Department of Appalachian Studies
The Department of English and the Department of Foreign Language merge to create the new Department of Literature and Language
Eastman Chemical Co. donates 144 acres of its Valleybrook property near Eastern Star Road off I-26 to the ETSU Foundation the property, which includes 72,000-square-foot research and office complex and a 30,000-square-foot warehouse and storage facility, will be leased to ETSU for research and educational purposes
ETSU's enrollment surpasses 15,000 for the first time, with 15,234 students enrolled for the fall 2010 semester
ETSU officially begins its 100th anniversary observance - "Partnerships, Promise, and Hope for 100 Years" - with a Centennial Opening Celebration in the ETSU/Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center (Minidome)
The ETSU College of Nursing and College of Clinical and Rehabilitative Health Sciences announce a $6.8 million grant from the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration to build a comprehensive health care facility that will house the Johnson City Downtown Clinic and other allied health services
ETSU is dedicated as an All-Steinway School in a ceremony with university and Steinway & Sons Pianos officials prior to a Steinway Celebration Concert featuring The 5 Browns, capping a "Week of Musical Celebrations" commemorating ETSU's centennial
The Department of Communication unveils its new, state-of-the-art radio, television and film studio, which has been converted to high definition and includes such amenities as a digital editing lab, studio cameras, graphics software, field equipment and other high-end technologies
A $75,000 renovation of the Hutcheson Hall planetarium is completed, featuring a state-of-the-art, full-dome digital projection system, as well as new seating, floor tiling, and more
The Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy receives the Outstanding Adaptive Reuse Award from The Heritage Alliance of Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia in honor of the excellence ETSU demonstrated in preserving, restoring and adapting the 100-year-old building on the James H. Quillen Veterans Affairs Medical Center campus at Mountain Home that now houses the college
President Dr. Paul E. Stanton Jr. proclaims the first Besse Brown Cooper Day, honoring the world's oldest living person on her 115th birthday. Mrs. Cooper graduated in 1916 from East Tennessee State Normal School.
ETSU closes its Centennial Celebration with a ceremony in the ETSU/Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center with the musical number "Mountain Memories," the presentation of the Student Choice Awards, and a special tribute to George L. Carter, who donated the land on which the university now stands, and Besse Brown Cooper, a 1916 East Tennessee State Normal School graduate and the oldest living person in the world at the age of 115
A bronze portrait bust of George L. Carter, the entrepreneur and philanthropist who donated the land on which ETSU now stands, is unveiled in front of Carter Hall, the women's residence hall named in memory of Carter's wife, Mayetta. The sculpture was created by Virginia artist Richard Pumphrey, whose portrait sculptures of the World War II Allied Leaders are on display at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Va.
WETS-FM, ETSU's public radio station, becomes the first station in the Tri-Cities region to offer high definition radio, with three HD signals in addition to its regular analog signal at 89.5 MHz
ETSU's eighth president, Dr. Paul E. Stanton Jr., retires, and is succeeded by Dr. Brian Noland, former chancellor of the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
ETSU is officially designated as a U.S. Olympic Training Site for weightlifting by the United States Olympic Committee
The James H. Quillen College of Medicine dedicates its new Student Study Center, a $1.4 million, state-of-the-art facility funded entirely by medical students and private donors, with study rooms of various sizes, a kitchen and café area, an outdoor porch and a 1,000-square-foot terrace
The center part of campus is permanently closed to traffic to allow the creation of more green space and walkway areas
Ground is broken for a 20,000-square-foot expansion of the Wayne G. Basler Center for Physical Activity, just 10 years after the facility's opening
Ground is broken for a Student Parking Garage, which will provide 1,224 parking spaces on four levels, as well as food services and office space for the Department of Public Safety and Office of Parking Services
Johnson City Community Health Center opens, replacing and building on the legacy of the Johnson City Downtown Clinic.
Bucky's Food Pantry, a food bank for ETSU students and employees in need, opens its newly refurbished quarters in the ETSU/Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center (Minidome).
ETSU launches a major arts initiative to raise funds for a new Fine and Performing Arts Center.
The Memorial Fountain and Tennessee Historical Marker at Borchuck Plaza were dedicated in honor and memory of the five students who desegregated East Tennessee State College: Eugene Caruthers, Elizabeth Watkins Crawford, Clarence McKinney, George L. Nichols and Mary Luellen Owens Wagner.
Surgical Chloe, the worlds first full-body, high-fidelity surgical simulator designed for training medical students and physicians in OB/GYN procedures, is introduced by faculty from the Quillen College of Medicine and College of Business and Technology.
ETSU President Dr. Brian Noland announces plans to start a football program, with the new team slated to take the field by the fall of 2015.
The 40th edition of The Mockingbird, ETSUs annual student literary and artistic magazine, is released.
ETSU at Kingsport Downtown opens its doors.
WETS-FM/HD, ETSUs public radio station, celebrates 40 years on the air.
ETSU is designated as an official Olympic training site for the U.S. Canoe and Kayak slalom team by the U.S. Olympic Committee and USA Canoe/Kayak.
The new ETSU parking garage opens, providing 1,224 spaces for student use.
ETSU is designated as an official Olympic training site for the U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton Federation and the U.S. Olympic Committee.
ETSU's James H. Quillen commemorates its 40th anniversary.
The new Buccaneer football team takes the field for the first time at Kermit Tipton Stadium against Kennesaw State University. In addition, the new ETSU Marching Bucs take the field for both pregame and halftime programs with 165 band members, a full year ahead of schedule.
ETSU President Dr. Brian Noland announces the inaugural class of Presidential Fellows: Dr. Daryl A. Carter, Dr. Wallace Dixon, Dr. Bethany Flora and Dr. David Linville. This new fellowship is designed to develop and enhance leadership skills among university faculty and staff.
ETSU's Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy commemorates its 10th anniversary.
Ground is broken for construction of the Buccaneers new football stadium, to be located on the west end of campus adjacent to the Basler Center for Physical Activity, intramural fields and Physical Plant.
As the 2015 digging season wraps up, ETSU paleontologists announce the discovery of a huge, mastodon-like elephant at the Gray Fossil Site.
A long-awaited Multicultural Center opens its doors in the D.P. Culp Center to provide students of all cultural backgrounds with educational support programs and services, a place to meet, opportunities to discuss issues that affect their lives, and more.
ETSU paleontologists announce discovery of a cluster of up to four mastodon specimens at Gray Fossil Site location where one of the giant creatures was found in 2015.
ETSU becomes the first higher education institution in the nation to be designated an Indoor Tan-Free Skin Smart Campus by the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention.
ETSU opens its new, state-of-the-art Basler Team Challenge and Aerial Adventure Course, with 21 unique challenges, and its 44-foot Veterans Tower.
ETSUs postal services becomes Postal and Passport Services with the addition of the capability to accept passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State.
The Buccaneer football team started its second season 2-0 with a win over Western Carolina University in front of a record-setting crowd inside Bristol Motor Speedway. Attendance was 13,863, marking a new single-game record for ETSU football.
The ETSU School of Graduate Studies announces a record high enrollment of 2,354 students for the fall semester.
ETSU establishes the Center for Community College Leadership, which brings a multidisciplinary approach to addressing complex issues that face post-secondary education, particularly those facing community colleges. The center is directed by Dr. Richard Rhoda, former executive director of the Tennessee Higher Education Commission and interim dean of ETSUs Claudius G. Clemmer College of Education.
Gov. Bill Haslam announces the eight appointees to the new Board of Trustees, which will govern ETSU starting in the spring of 2017 under the new higher education governance structure formed as part of the FOCUS Act approved by the Tennessee General Assembly. The inaugural members of the ETSU board are Janet Ayres, Steven DeCarlo, David Golden, Dorothy Grisham, Dr. Linda Latimer, Scott Niswonger, James Powell and Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey. Dr. David Linville of the Quillen College of Medicine, chair of the ETSU Governance Transition Committee, is appointed by ETSU President Dr. Brian Noland to serve as secretary to the board.
The ETSU Bluegrass Pride Band becomes what is believed to be the first university bluegrass band to make the national airplay charts when Did You Hear Me Say Goodbye, a song penned by band member Max Etling and his father, B. Etling, and recorded in the ETSU Recording Lab, debuts at number 12 on the Bluegrass Today chart.
Ground is broken on a multimillion-dollar renovation of Building 60 on the Mountain Home Veterans Affairs campus, which will be transformed from the VAs former Quartermasters Storehouse and fire station into a new Interprofessional Education and Research Center for ETSUs Academic Health Sciences Center.
The ETSU Board of Trustees holds its inaugural quarterly meeting on March 24, 2017.
The ETSU football team returns to campus for the inaugural game at William B. Greene Jr. Stadium, opening its third season with a historic 31-10 win over Limestone College in front of a sold-out crowd.
ETSU breaks ground on the long-awaited James C. and Mary B. Martin Center for the Arts, projected to be a $53 million facility with performance, instructional and teaching space, including a 1,200-seat performance hall.
ETSU opens the Center for Teaching Excellence, a “one-stop shop” providing faculty with tools to successfully instruct classes and conduct research in their fields of study.
The College of Public Health is recognized nationally with the Delta Omega Award for Innovative Public Health Curriculum for Project EARTH (Employing Available Resources to Transform Health), which helps prepare public health students with the knowledge and skills necessary to work in low-resource environments through hands-on training at the Niswonger VILLAGE at Valleybrook.
ETSU is designated a Military Friendly® School by Victory Media for the eighth consecutive year, increasing from the bronze to gold ranking.
ETSU receives the Military Spouse Friendly ® School designation for the first time from Victory Media, a ratings organization and publisher of Military Spouse Magazine.
ETSU paleontologists publish the discovery of the world’s oldest wolverine (Gulo sudorus) at the Gray Fossil Site. Based on this discovery, the group provides a new estimate of the age of the Gray Fossil Site – between 4.9 and 4.5 million years old – placing it in the early Pliocene Epoch. Previously, the site was thought to be from the late Miocene (between 7 and 4.5 million years old).
300 Burgin Dossett | PO Box 70717
Johnson City, TN 37614
A member of the Ohio Valley Conference, Tennessee State University sponsors teams in seven men's and eight women's NCAA sanctioned sports: 
|Men's sports||Women's sports|
|Cross country||Cross country|
|Track and field †||Track and field †|
|† – Track and field includes both indoor and outdoor.|
Women's Basketball: Gentry Center
Tennis: TSU Tennis Court Complex
Indoor Track & Field: Gentry Center
Outdoor Track & Field: Edward S. Temple Track
In 1957, coach John McClendon and three-time All-American Dick Barnett led the then-Tennessee Agricultural & Industrial State University to become the first historically black college (HBCU) to win a national basketball title, winning the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) championship. The school went on to win the NAIA title again in 1958 and '59. 
The women's track and field team won the championship of the Amateur Athletic Union national senior outdoor meet for all athletes 13 times in 1955–1960, 1962, 1963, 1965–1967, 1969 and 1978. The team likewise won the AAU national indoor championship 14 times in 1956–1960, 1962, 1965–1969 and 1978–1980. 
By 2009, approximately 100 TSU football players had been drafted by the National Football League. 
In 2014, From the Rough was released which is a movie based on a true story about the successes and challenges of the first African-American woman (Dr. Catana Starks) to coach a Division I college men's golf team. Starks helped develop several noteworthy golfers at Tennessee State such as Sean Foley and Robert Dinwiddie. 
In 2016, the men's basketball team ranked 17th in the nation for increase in home attendance. During the 2015-2016 basketball season, the men's team tied the school record for the most Division I wins with 20. 
The Southern Heritage Classic in Memphis, Tennessee is annually one of the largest and most anticipated HBCU football classics in the nation. 
Tennessee State University
Opened in 1912, Tennessee State University (TSU) has become one of Tennessee’s most recognized public higher education institutions, both nationally and internationally. Its athletes, including Ralph Boston, Wyomia Tyus, and Wilma G. Rudolph, have won twenty-nine medals in the Olympic Games. The university’s most famous graduate, Oprah Winfrey, became America’s highest paid entertainer and television personality during the 1990s. By 1996 seven TSU buildings had been placed on the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district–the first of Tennessee’s public colleges and universities so designated.
As the twentieth century began, Tennessee remained the only state with legal segregation that did not have a public college for its African American citizens. In 1907, after learning that the general assembly planned to authorize publicly supported normal schools, Nashville’s African American leaders demanded the inclusion of a school for blacks. In 1909 the legislature authorized a normal school in each grand division and another school for the state’s 472,987 African Americans. Benjamin Carr, Preston Taylor, and other African American leaders in Nashville formed the Colored Agricultural and Industrial Normal Association and launched a campaign to locate the school in Davidson County. Taylor, Carr, Henry Allen Boyd, James C. Napier, T. Clay Moore, W. S. Ellington, and others appeared before several legislative sessions, the Davidson County government, and the governor. They solicited over $80,000, including funds gathered from a door-to-door campaign in African American neighborhoods. On January 13, 1911, the State Board of Education decided to locate Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial State Normal School for Negroes in Davidson County.
William J. Hale, Chattanooga school principal and a friend of the state superintendent of education, was selected as principal of the institution. He supervised the school’s construction on rocky Zollicoffer Hill overlooking the Cumberland River. The campus eventually expanded to 165 acres. The school’s early buildings consisted of the President’s Home (Goodwill Manor), an industrial building, a three-story main building, two dormitories, two barns, and farm houses.
On June 19, 1912, Tennessee A&I State Normal School for Negroes opened its doors for summer school, enrolling 245 students who were taught by thirteen teachers. State Normal soon served as the summer school training site for most of Tennessee’s African American educators. By fall 1912 enrollment had risen to 300 the school was formally dedicated on January 16, 1913.
Tennessee A&I Normal offered remedial elementary and secondary courses as well as a high school diploma that required sixteen Carnegie credits. After completion of the normal curriculum, the students received teacher certification. Students paid $101 per year for books, room, board, and fees. Chapel attendance was required, and each student worked two hours per day. By 1922 the curriculum included college courses, and Tennessee A&I graduated its first college class of eight men in June 1924. The institution’s name was changed to Tennessee A&I State Normal College in 1925, and two years later the word Normal was dropped. The school’s motto, “Enter to Learn Go Forth to Serve,” and the words on the school’s seal, “Think Work Serve,” gave little offense in the age of segregation when whites expected African Americans to hold subordinate and service positions.
Public school education for blacks seldom reached the sixth grade in most Tennessee counties. As a result, Tennessee A&I grappled with crowded conditions, and enrollment quickly rose from 401 in 1916 to nearly 2,000 within a few years. Much of the funding for improvements in public education for African Americans came from northern philanthropists. By 1917 the Anna T. Jeannes Fund and the Rosenwald Fund maintained agents at Tennessee A&I. Improvements in secondary and high school education for black children in most counties enabled Tennessee A&I State College to abolish its normal and high school divisions by the 1930s.
In 1927 a new building phase began. African Americans raised some $65,000 the General Education Board contributed $100,000 and the state legislature appropriated $400,000. The campus design included a quadrangle on the north side of Centennial Boulevard surrounded by three new buildings (Hale Hall, Memorial Library, and Harned Science Hall) and several original structures. Hale employed A. W. Williston, a Tuskegee landscaper, to beautify the rock-filled campus. In 1932 another building phase produced the Women’s Building, the Administration and Health Building, and the Industrial Arts Building. In 1935 more improvements added a football stadium, a track field, a limestone fence along Centennial Boulevard, and recreational facilities. From 1943 to 1949 a $6 million program completed the Engineering Building, a new heating plant, expansion of the Women’s Building, and expansion of Memorial Library. During this period, A&I added a graduate school and awarded the first master’s degree in 1944. By this time, A&I enrollment numbered 1,513 students, and the school claimed the third highest total number of graduates among historically African American universities.
On September 23, 1951, the school received recognition as Tennessee A&I State University and obtained the first Air Force ROTC unit for African Americans. In 1958 the university gained land grant status. During the presidency of Walter S. Davis, the University’s enrollment grew to over 6,000 students, and construction added several more buildings: the Graduate Building, Clay Hall, Lawson Hall, a Home Economics Building, and new dormitories. Three older buildings were torn down, leaving only Goodwill Manor, the presidential home, from the original 1912-15 campus.
The school’s name changed to Tennessee State University in 1968, the same year that a federal court suit was filed to dismantle the recent erection of the University of Tennessee’s Nashville (UTN) branch. The plaintiffs argued that downtown UTN furthered segregation in higher education and competed with TSU. On July 1, 1979, UTN’s modern downtown campus merged with Tennessee State University.
Meanwhile state neglect and years of use had left TSU’s main campus in a deplorable and shameful condition. A limited building phase between 1975 and 1985 added the Gentry Physical Education Complex, School of Business Building, a new library, the Torrence Engineering Building, and the CARP Research Building, in addition to renovations to the old Memorial Library, and Harned and McCord Halls. Beginning in 1989 TSU student leaders pressured the governor for changes. As a result, the general assembly appropriated $122 million over several years to implement a Master Plan developed under President Otis L. Floyd that included the rebuilding of the campus infrastructure, the renovation of all buildings, and the construction of new facilities. Federal funds helped to transform two old barns into an agricultural complex, to build an agricultural center at McMinnville, and to support minor renovations on the main campus.
In 2000 Tennessee State University, an urban, land-grant institution, was Tennessee’s most cosmopolitan public university, enrolling over 8,600 students of all races. Over the years, TSU’s student body has represented eighty-six of the state’s ninety-five counties, fifty-one nations, and forty states. The university has employed faculty members of all ethnic groups while claiming the distinction as America’s sixth largest historically African American university. From its founding in 1912, TSU has prospered under the leadership of its acting and permanent presidents, including W. J. Hale (1912-43) Walter S. Davis (1943-68) Andrew P. Torrence (1968-74) Frederick S. Humphries (1975-85) Roy Peterson (acting, 1985-86) Otis L. Floyd (1986-90) George W. Cox (acting, 1990-91) and James A Hefner (1991-present).